Threaded View

Smile what worked for me

About 16 months ago, my hair started falling out by the handful when I showered. This was the 3rd time in my life this had happened, and just like most women, I couldn't get any explanation or solution from medical professionals. They were unsympathetic, and not helpful.

I found a company called the Hair Loss Control Clinic, and they had a system that consisted of a shampoo, conditioner, topical solution, and a vitamin taken twice daily. There is also a laser that you sit under for 30 minutes - they have a home model. I stopped losing my hair in less than a week!! And it has been a full year since I started (it's a one year commitment) and I have grown enough hair to feel comfortable again. I don't have a full head of beautiful hair, but I've accepted I never will be one of those girls.

I am not a spokesperson for this company - they do have some downfalls. Their customer service is not great... You may have to be persistent with communication. And it is a pretty expensive solution (I paid $3000 for one year) but I am pleased with the results enough to spread the word. The products also had a pleasant smell, and I also saw an improvement in my hair quality. They are based in New York, but have centers around the country. You can also get products mailed to you.

I did try acupuncture and Chinese herbs, which were helpful. I also learned some important facts: most hair loss is due to too much testosterone; look for product that block DHT. Monoxodil does help you grow hair, but it's the same kind of hair that is on your arm. This works fine for men, but women what longer, thicker hair. If you just want to cover your scalp, it may work for you, however know that you have to use it continuously. Once you stop, you will lose the hair that grew. I experienced this, and I decided I wasn't willing to make a lifelong commitment. Also, many store bought shampoos are harsh on our hair. Look at ingredients and consider all natural products; and ones that clear sebaceous glands - if these are clogged, hair can't grow.

I have to say that I was very self conscious when I was losing my hair, and a lot of the websites made me feel worse... I was not willing to wear a wig, but was getting close to that point. I want to now let other women know that there are some solutions. Hope that helps!