+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy university student needing a little help/support! :( thank you...

Hey guys,

I'm 19 years old, currently in my second year at university in the UK. Since my 18th birthday I have noticed significant hairloss, particularly around the front and top, with the vast majority of the hair on my temples completely gone.

So yeah, it has undoubtably made me highly self-conscious and generally a bit depressed at times. I can mask the loss for now, but I am seriously worried about the future.

Basically, I came here to find some support and hopefully find people to answer a few of my questions, for which i will be incredibly greatful for.

Now, as i'm sure many others have, I have looked into treatments/medicines available with some hope that maybe I could turn things around. What many recommend, including members on this forum is propecia. I've looked into this and it seems to be rather risky (several dodgy side affects) so i've given that a miss.

Hair transplants seem to be a good option, my hair is very thick at the back and sides (which annoying makes it look worse as it is thinning on top) which would be good for a donor area, but obviously I'm still youngish and not the most well off guy, so maybe this isn't for me...yet

This may sound silly but I'm currently single, and the thought of my hairloss does seriously worry me as i look much younger for my actual age (so it would look extra weird) It wouldnt bother me so much if i was 40 with a wife and kids, but yeah... My hair is longish at the moment, so what hairloss i have at the moment is not that visable until i pull my hair back (or a gale blows it back!) which makes me highly reluctant to get a haircut.

Obviously I could cut my hair short and accept my hair's fate, but i was hoping that that would be my last option. Especially as I dont think my head shape would suit a buzz cut at all!

I should probably consult a doctor (which i havent yet), but with study and my social life things are quite hectic as it is... so here, to this forum I came.

So, if you guys have any short term/long term treatments etc that you think would help me would be highly appreciated,

thank you ever so much...my confidence is at an all time low...

Try propecia or accept what you got. Cut your hair short and be confident. Don't waste money on any "cures". The only thing that works is propecia.

Hey Yorkshire Lad,

Your situation sounds nearly identical to mine. I'm also a 2nd year student in an American University who started to notice hairloss around 18. Hairloss is an extremely hard thing for us young guys to endure. With the preasure of school, friends, social life, and woman swarming around us it is honestly the last thing we need to worry about. However, life has dealt us these cards and we need to face this reality with poise and confindence.

The first and foremost thing that I recomend is that you try finasteride. With your hairloss in early stages and not even being noticable to people other than yourself, you are in a prime position to respond well to the drug. There are many horror stories circling the internet about finasteride and permanent sexual side effects that remain at question in my mind. Whether these stories are true or not can't be told, but you should know that millions have been prescribed finasteride without experiencing sides. I would hate to see you loose your hair without trying finasteride for 1 atleast year.

If you do decide to take finasteride there are many potential benefits. The most important benefit is that you will likely stop the further progression of your hairloss. Even if you were not to grow new hair with Finasteride, halting hairloss is a huge step in the right direction. By halting or reversing your hairloss, hair transplantation might be a possible option for you when you reach your early to mid 20's. Doctors will rarely opperate on a patient in there 20's if their hairloss has not been stopped or controlled by finasteride.

Another treatment option that many will tell you to use is minoxidil. I personally choose not to use it because it takes time to apply twice a day and with my busy college life i don't have the time or discipline. However, if you feel you will religously use minoxidil it can be a very effective treatment in regrowing hair. Ultimately it is your decision to use these treatment options or not, however i would strongly recomend trying at least one.

When faced with thinning hair your hairstyle is also extremely important. A good haircut can do wonders for a man with thinning hair. I noticed you said in your post that you keep your hair longer. In the early stages of hairloss longer hair is definately better for coverage, however don't let your hair get too long because it will start to weigh down and look thinner. Also like me, you have exremely thick hair on the sides and back. I would recomend keeping that hair cut fairly short to eliminate the contrast between the thick and thin. You'll notice a good haircut will make your hair appear 10 times better.

Lastly I would like to leave you some advice on the mental aspects of hairloss. The most important thing that you need to know is that most people will not care/notice your hairloss. What people will care/notice is how it affects your confindence. I know it is so much easier said than done but PLEEEAASSSEEE try and remain confident and positive as a person. I guarantee you that having a good personality, in shape body, and being well hygened will far surpass having hair. If you contain all those things and a girl turns you down because of your hair, it is more her loss than yours. There are so many more important things in life than the hair on your head and don't let hairloss interfere with those things. Hold your head up high and be proud of yourself no matter what. Worst case sinario shave your head and never look back. I wish you a lot of luck my man, and please keep me informed of your situation, I would love to hear what you decide to do and how things go.

Your friend,

Jman