+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 19 year old

Default 19 year old

Hi Baldtruthtalk community,
    I'm a senior at the University of Massachusetts, the time line of my experience with hair loss went like this:
    Spring 2010: Parents were joking around about me going bald, they were really just kidding, but I took it seriously, looked closely, seemed there was missing hair in the area that spirals near the crown. Didn't take it too seriously.

Summer 2010: Shaved my head cuz it was dam hot out, definitely noticed thinning in the crown area, not so much mid and anterior scalp. Still didin't take it seriously, until about a month later got a hair cut and my barber mentioned that I was definitely thinning but it wasn't noticeable at all.

Fall 2010: Went home from college to visit the family, my grandma is pretty straightforward with me and mentioned to me that I was definitely going bald. She's definitely right on since she lived during the lifetime of many of my relatives who went bald.

That is when I started taking things seriously. My first thought was that my diet was lacking necessary nutrients. So for 4 months straight I was under the most strict diet imaginable. Alot like a bodybuilder's diet. I included flaxeed oil, protein shakes, multivitamins, whole food, whole wheat grains, etc...

Around early January I got a hair cut ( I didn't get a hair cut all of fall.) , and man was I in for a big surprise, my crown and mid scalp had gotten thinner than ever, it was definitely noticeable, and for the first week or so I had to cover it up with a hat.

I made an appointment the next day with a dermatologist, and he looked at it for two seconds and right away prescribed propecia.

So this is my third day on propecia, I attached a few pics which I took the morning I first took propecia, and will definitely be updating you guys on my progress.

I'm also showering with regenepure DR and its conditioner. My diet plan looks something like this :

Morning : Protein Shake + Toast + Glass of skim Milk + MultiVitamin + 1mg Propecia

noon : Tuna Sandwich + Plenty of water + Fruit

Afternoon: Fruit Salad + 6 egg whites

Post gym( cardio or weights ) : Protein Shake + Multi Vitamin + plenty of water

Early Evening: Chicken or stake + 1 Tbsp Flaxeed oil

Before Bed: Casien Protein scoop + 1 Tbsp Flaxeed oil

A few questions I have though that I could not come to a clear cut answer about is the following:

1) Does hard lifting interfere with the drug's effectiveness ? I'm talking about very intense exercise, as I'm a Division 1 College sprinter. For the past 2 years I've been consistently lifting maximal weights and sprinting at 100% intensity several days a week. Could this have contributed to my hair-loss in addition to the fact that one of my parents is Arab ?

2) What kind of effect does occasional ( once a week) Marijuana have while on Propecia ?

3) When is the best time to take Propecia ? I take it in the morning because Testosterone levels are highest then, but I workout around 5 - 6pm, and I assume testosterone levels rise dramatically after an intense workout, which would make it ideal to take it then ?

4) Should flaxeed oil be in my diet ? I heard mixed results as far as its synergistic effect on the drug is concerned.

5) Does anybody have experience with the above shampoo, or have better suggestions for first timers ?

I should mention that I am studying neuro-endocrinology, so feel free to fill me in on with your scientific reasoning

I'm curious what you guys think of any of the above, Hope to hear from you guys soon ! Balding Sucks !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0106.jpg

Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	8148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0111.jpg

Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	8149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0112.jpg

Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	8150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0113.jpg

Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	8151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0123.jpg

Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	8152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0125.jpg

Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	8153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture0126.jpg

Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	8154  

1) Does hard lifting interfere with the drug's effectiveness ? I'm talking about very intense exercise, as I'm a Division 1 College sprinter. For the past 2 years I've been consistently lifting maximal weights and sprinting at 100% intensity several days a week. Could this have contributed to my hair-loss in addition to the fact that one of my parents is Arab ?

I cant speak to this but I would think that it does not have an effect on propecia as long as hormone supplements are not used for workouts.

2) What kind of effect does occasional ( once a week) Marijuana have while on Propecia ?

none.

3) When is the best time to take Propecia ? I take it in the morning because Testosterone levels are highest then, but I workout around 5 - 6pm, and I assume testosterone levels rise dramatically after an intense workout, which would make it ideal to take it then ?

anytime in the morning. your assessment is spot on. testosterone levels are highest in the morning. it provides best results then. the drug has a 6-7 hour half life in your body so effectively you can take it at anytime and it should cover your workout window.

4) Should flaxeed oil be in my diet ? I heard mixed results as far as its synergistic effect on the drug is concerned.

i have some benefits to a good diet and flaxseed oil however I am unsure it has been studied thoroughly. your best results will come from the big 3: rogaine, nizoral shampoo, and propecia.

5) Does anybody have experience with the above shampoo, or have better suggestions for first timers ?

i would go with the aforementioned nizoral 2-3 times a week.

I can't really say much other than STICK with the propecia, it will most likely give you results, but they come later in time. I only recentely started noticing results.
    Another note, you seem like a good looking guy and your head shape looks like it'd sport a clean shaven look. Just another alternative, you're lucky you can pull of really short hair.