+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What are the earliest signs of gyno? What should I look for to stop or reduce finasteride dose early? Thanks

I took fin for 6 years with minimal sides, but for some reason in the 7th year (2012) I developed gyno and have had it ever since. It's awful, I think about it more often than I think about baldness at this point. I continued to take fin at low dosages throughout 2012 and the gyno actually started going away, but I didn't notice that it was going away until I had another outbreak around November of last year and my nipples got much puffier than they had been. I completely abandoned propecia this past January and unfortunately the gyno hasn't subsided. I'm going to try letrozole to get rid of it, but if that doesn't work it looks like it will be surgery...

Just use an AI if you're worried about gyno, although I wouldn't use it until you saw the warning signs (nipple tenderness etc.), AI's such as Arimidex stop the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, they're normally used by people taking steroids to stop gyno.

The actual raise in estrogen in propecia is pretty negligible for most people though, I don't think you'd get gyno unless you're highly prone to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    I took fin for 6 years with minimal sides, but for some reason in the 7th year (2012) I developed gyno and have had it ever since. It's awful, I think about it more often than I think about baldness at this point. I continued to take fin at low dosages throughout 2012 and the gyno actually started going away, but I didn't notice that it was going away until I had another outbreak around November of last year and my nipples got much puffier than they had been. I completely abandoned propecia this past January and unfortunately the gyno hasn't subsided. I'm going to try letrozole to get rid of it, but if that doesn't work it looks like it will be surgery...
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. I'm curious how your hair is doing since stopping fin? I guess it's only been 3 months, but I'm always interested in what I might expect should I ever land in a situation comparable to yours.

Best luck, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodyy View Post
    Just use an AI if you're worried about gyno, although I wouldn't use it until you saw the warning signs (nipple tenderness etc.), AI's such as Arimidex stop the conversion of testosterone to estrogen, they're normally used by people taking steroids to stop gyno.

The actual raise in estrogen in propecia is pretty negligible for most people though, I don't think you'd get gyno unless you're highly prone to it.
    I'll do my own research as well, but I'm wondering: what's the cost ($), difficulty of attainment, and potential sides of taking an AI?

Frankly, the fear of gyno is stronger than the fear of loss of libido+impotence to me.

Big reason I have not tried propecia. I dont think propecia long term is going to do someone much good other then keeping hair and it probably wont do that perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Big reason I have not tried propecia. I dont think propecia long term is going to do someone much good other then keeping hair and it probably wont do that perfectly.
    All I want/need is to keep my hair. The same is probably true of a lot of young, alert guys, which is why I advocate not delaying treatment.

Oh yes I just want to keep my hair too. I would be 100 percent happy if I could keep the hair I have right now for the next 20 years. I dont think propecia can do that, and I personally feel propecia is going to turn out to be dangerous later as we find out more about long term effects of DHT.
    My opinion and right now its safe and its been around a long time so its pretty time tested. So many subtle things though happen as you get older maybe your facial structure changes is it age or from propecia? You will never know and I think I would be paranoid about that kind of thing taking a drug

Quote Originally Posted by burtandernie View Post
    Oh yes I just want to keep my hair too. I would be 100 percent happy if I could keep the hair I have right now for the next 20 years. I dont think propecia can do that, and I personally feel propecia is going to turn out to be dangerous later as we find out more about long term effects of DHT.
    My opinion and right now its safe and its been around a long time so its pretty time tested. So many subtle things though happen as you get older maybe your facial structure changes is it age or from propecia? You will never know and I think I would be paranoid about that kind of thing taking a drug
    That's fair, I guess. I'm just hoping that, since the drug has been out for 15 years (?), those guys will encounter the long term effects ahead of time so I can jump ship if need be.