+ Reply to Thread

Default Do i need to fix this ? How much would it take

Guys,

I am losing hair for the past 4-5 years. I have been on Propecia for the past 2 years. I have lost some on the crown, and thinning on the front right side of my head.

I have attached two pics of my left and right side.How many grafts do i need to make my right side look like my left ?

Do you guys think i need it at all ?

http://img826.imageshack.us/i/dscf1534i.jpg
    http://img220.imageshack.us/i/dscf1535d.jpg

Raulito

I agree with Winston that you really don't need hair restoration surgery at this point. Your hair does look like it is styled slightly differently on the two sides so perhaps you just have a cowlick on the right side that makes it appear a bit thinner to you?

Cit_girl,

I wear my hair back. I have lost hair on the front right area and now there is not enough hair to pull back. I was hoping to know how many grafts would fix it. But apparently its not required according to you or the previous poster.

It looks like you could style your hair differently to hide the thinning area. You still have very thick hair overall so you will have many styling options open to you.

Only you can answer the question "do I need to fix this?" A small procedure could bulk up the problem area but you should only consider FUE for this. Your hairloss is so minimal that most people here (almost all of whom are dealing with far greater loss) will consider your hairloss situation to be well below the level where surgery should be considered.

Personally (and I'm far from gung-ho when it comes to surgery), I don't think you'd be taking much of a risk if you were to have a small FUE session. You would be using a small number of grafts that would make little impact on your future reserves if your hairloss worsened and you needed further surgery, and the surgery itself wouldn't be very invasive.
    Shockloss would be the main worry. Hairs that are weakened by the process of gradually being lost to androgenic alopecia can be shocked away by having hairs surgically implanted in close proximity. I believe the outcome in most cases is good with re-growth of lost hairs, and your hair doesn't look too ravaged in that area so the result would most likely be a net gain in density.
    If you understand what transplant surgery involves and can afford it, then I don't see any firm reasons why you shouldn't consider it. A patient needn't be experiencing severe loss to have a minor procedure.
    That's just my opinion on the matter.

How old are you?
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

mattj,

I am 33. I think the hair looks thick in those pics because i use a thickening shampoo. I dont know what kinda pics would tell a truer story. I do have some when my hair was really short. But i am definitely leaning towards not doing anything.

A thickening shampoo is not going to make much difference. You have masses of hair. I can see a definite area of reduced density at the right temple but as I said, with all that hair you could easily hide it - especially if it's only on the one side. I understand that missing hair can make you feel somehow not fully complete, like something is missing, and if it prevents you from wearing your hair exactly how you like it then that can be hard to come to terms with; but you're better off than nearly everyone else who posts here.

It sounds like you've answered your question.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I've lost a lot more hair than you but I think I do a decent job of disguising it by wearing it long and swept down. You could so easily get a funky haircut and disguise it.

Thanx for the response guys....i am staying put and not doing anything