+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saw Palmetto??

Default Saw Palmetto??

Any one know about this?

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/qali...awpalmetto.htm

I know its for prostate.. but by what i understand is.. the older you get your prostate in some people can get bigger causing problem.. etc.. but it also seems that because of its hormone level and all that, this herb seems to keep the DHT level from being combined with what ever the other part is that causes hair loss?

here is a quote in that link:
    "Although we still don't know exactly how it works, it's believed that it may block an enzyme (5-alpha-reductase) from allowing the hormone testosterone from being converted to another hormone, dihydrotestosterone. Dihydrotestosterone is considered a key contributing factor to the onset and progression of androgenic alopecia and benign prostatic hyperplasia. "

im nearly 30, i dont really want to take this stuff if i dont have problems down under.. but if it didnt do any harm and hept my hair on my head why not..

any thoughts?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

It is a natural product and has not been known to cause any harm. Might be worth a try. If you feel after a reasonable amount of time (6-12 months) that there was no benefit or your hair loss contunied you could always try something else (Propecia for example).
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I started it a few months ago. I was told to get the softgels and make sure it has 85-95% fatty acids, I believe 340g a day is recommended.

I actually started to take it as a possible weak kind of propecia and to see if I got any sides.

I noticed a little breast tenderness but it went away after a week.

As for my hair no difference but it hasn't been very long at all.

Info:

Saw palmetto
    Overview:

Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens/Sabal serrulata) is a palm-like plant with berries that were a staple food and medicine for the Native Americans of the southeastern United States. In the early 1900s, men used the berries to treat urinary tract problems, and even to increase sperm production and boost libido. Today, the primary use of saw palmetto is to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate gland. Researchers aren't sure exactly how saw palmetto works, but it contains plant-based chemicals that may be effective for BPH. Researchers think that saw palmetto may affect the level of testosterone in the body, and perhaps reduce the amount of an enzyme that promotes the growth of prostate cells. Saw palmetto is often combined with nettle extract to treat BPH.

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)

Evidence is mixed about whether saw palmetto works to treat BPH. A number of studies suggest that the herb is effective for treating symptoms, including too-frequent urination, having trouble starting or maintaining urination, and needing to urinate during the night. The urethra, the tube that empties urine from the body, runs through the prostate gland in men; when the prostate gland is enlarged, men may have trouble urinating.

Some studies show that saw palmetto is as effective in treating symptoms as finasteride (Proscar) without side effects such as loss of libido. Other studies suggest that saw palmetto may actually shrink the size of the prostate gland. Due to the short duration (usually less than 3 months) of these studies, it's not possible to say for sure that saw palmetto is truly effective for preventing complications of BPH. In fact, a well-conducted study published in the February 9, 2006, edition of the New England Journal of Medicine found that saw palmetto was no better than placebo in relieving the signs and symptoms of BPH.

It is important to receive a proper diagnosis of BPH from your doctor to rule out prostate cancer.

Other Uses

Animal studies have shown that saw palmetto inhibits the growth of tumor cells indicating that it may be a helpful in the treatment of prostate cancer. Other studies have shown that saw palmetto improves urinary tract symptoms related to BPH. While these studies are promising, more research is needed to determine whether saw palmetto is effective for these conditions.

Plant Description:

Saw palmetto is a fan palm that grows as a tree or shrub that can reach heights of 10 feet in warm climates with leaf clusters that can reach 2 feet or more. It has a creeping, horizontal growth pattern. In the United States, it grows in the warm climates of the southeast coast, from South Carolina to throughout Florida. Lush, green, "saw-toothed" leaves fan out from thorny stems. The plant has white flowers, which produce yellow berries. The berries turn bluish-black when ripe, and are dried for medicinal use.

What's It Made Of?:

Saw palmetto's active ingredients include fatty acids, plant sterols, and flavonoids. The berries also contain high molecular weight polysaccharides (sugars), which may reduce inflammation or strengthen the immune system.

Available Forms:

Saw palmetto can be purchased as dried berries, powdered capsules, tablets, liquid tinctures, and liposterolic extracts. The product label should indicate that contents are standardized and contain 85 - 95% fatty acids and sterols. Read labels carefully and buy only from reputable companies.

How to Take It:

Children

Saw palmetto is not recommended for children.

Adult

Liposterolic extract in capsules: The recommended dosages for early stages of BPH is 160 mg, twice a day. The supplement should be a fat-soluble saw palmetto extract that contains 85 - 95% fatty acids and sterols.
    Liquid extract: 5 - 6 mL per day. This preparation has not been tested in any studies, so its effectiveness is not known.
    Tea: Saw palmetto can be taken as a tea, but its active ingredients (fatty acids) are not soluble in water, so tea may not be effective. It has not been tested in any studies. Capsules are recommended instead of tea.
    Precautions:

The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, you should take herbs with care, under the supervision of a health care provider.

Saw palmetto is generally thought to be safe a when used as directed. Side effects are very rare, although mild stomach complaints and minor headaches may occur. In at least one case, significant bleeding during surgery was attributed to saw palmetto.

Do not self-treat for BPH with saw palmetto; see your doctor for a proper diagnosis to rule out prostate cancer.

Saw palmetto may have effects similar to some hormones, and should not be used in pregnant or nursing women, or women who have had or are at risk for hormone-related cancers.

Saw palmetto may interfere with the absorption of iron.

Possible Interactions:

Finasteride(Proscar) -- Because saw palmetto may work similarly to finasteride (Proscar), you should not use this herb in combination with finasteride or other medications used to treat BPH.

Antiplatelet and anticoagulant drugs (blood-thinners) -- Saw palmetto may affect the blood's ability to clot, and could interfere with blood-thinning drugs, including:

Warfarin (Coumadin)
    Clopidogrel (Plavix)
    Aspirin
    Oral contraceptives -- Because saw palmetto may have hormone-like effects, it may make oral contraceptives less effective, raising the risk of unplanned pregnancy.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Saw Palmetto is actually more dangerous than Propecia in the side effects it may cause.

Neither of those are worth the risk involved.

What's that based on?

Its a supplement taken my lots of people it has few sides but they are listed.

You might as well say aspirin is more dangerous than propecia.

so many mixed reviews even on google... one doesnt know what to do anymore..

Quote Originally Posted by andycanon View Post
    so many mixed reviews even on google... one doesnt know what to do anymore..
    Theres a member on another forum states that its stabilized his hairloss for many years. The only way to know is to try it, thats what I'm doing. Good luck in whatever you decide.

One thing i dont understand, if DHT is the problem with hair loss and Saw Palmetto Inhibits DHT.. isnt this helping?

I'm about to start trying this out.. but if people say it doesnt work.. then DHT is not the cause of hair loss then is it??

As people keep saying DHT DHT DHT.. saw palmetto Stops DHT.. and then to be told it doesnt work.. what am i to think??

I've been taking it for months and haven't noticed any difference.

I think the problem is sawp hasn't been tested as far as hairloss goes so to say sawp inhibits DHT maybe a bit of a reach.