+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Normal MPB?

Default Normal MPB?

I'm 28 and this has happened within about two months. I have had a lot of medication changes/stress recently, and no family history of MPB. Could this be caused by the medication/stress or is it obvious MPB?

If it is MPB, I suppose I should immediately get on Propecia. Should I try anything else in addition?

Thanks in advance.

It certainly looks like MPB but you mention a ****tail of issues that could cause the onset of hairloss. my recommendation is do not start throwing more drugs into your body till you have worked out the cause of this.

What drugs/meds you recently taken?

S
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    It certainly looks like MPB but you mention a ****tail of issues that could cause the onset of hairloss. my recommendation is do not start throwing more drugs into your body till you have worked out the cause of this.

What drugs/meds you recently taken?

S
    Starting taking Lamictal, Klonopin, and Wellbutrin about 3 1/2 months ago, after two years without any medication. Also went through ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), so the stress to body has been pretty severe.

My hairline hasn't moved at all, but I understand that it does not for some.

I have an appointment with my Derm in 3 weeks, and I'm sure he'll just put me on Propecia (he's not much of a diagnostician). I was just wondering if Propecia would help with non MPB hair loss, or if it is some kind of shock, make the shock worse.

It doesn't look like there are tests to diagnose the type of hair loss, so I can't decide which is riskier: waiting to take Propecia/making changes in medication and possibly losing more hair that I'll never get back (it's going fast), or starting Propecia now.

I think I'll probably do the latter, but I just wanted some input. If it is MPB, does it look like the type which would respond? Is it even possible to tell visually?

Thanks again.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

You should try to really research your family history for male pattern hair loss. Sometimes it is not obvious or could skip a generation. Discussing your medications and the possible side effects with your prescribing doctor is also a good idea.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    You should try to really research your family history for male pattern hair loss. Sometimes it is not obvious or could skip a generation. Discussing your medications and the possible side effects with your prescribing doctor is also a good idea.
    Thanks for the response. I've got no hairloss on either side of my family up to my grandparents (father's father lost hair at 75, mother's father died at 60 with no hair loss).

I've bought some rogaine so I suppose I will just start using it and wait for my derm appointment. Like I said, he'll most likely just want to give me a pill. My psychiatrist hadn't had any experience with patients losing hair due to drugs, but just about every psychiatric drug lists hair loss as a possible side effect, so maybe I've just finally hit one that does it to me. Lamictal also has a lot of potential side effects relating to skin, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The one thing I can't figure out is if getting treatment for MPB (rogaine, propecia) will somehow harm my hair if my loss is due to some other reason. Is that possible?