+ Reply to Thread

Default Long or Short for better results before Hair Transplant?

Hello Everyone!

Question, can someone please tell me how long you should keep your hair before going in for Hair Transplant? Does it makes any difference? Do you think either way might get difference results. I've read somewhere you shouldn't cut or trim your hair for almost two months before surgery. I'm afraid mine is too short. please answer since my HT is soon. Thank you!

I think it depends on the doctor and the type of procedure you are having. Most FUE physicians will need to shave your donor region entirely though, at our clinic, we offer the option of non-shaven FUE. For a non-shaven procedure, it's important for patients to keep their hair long enough for Dr. Cole to clip it out of the way as he works. As far as length in the recipient area, I think it again depends on your surgeon. Dr. Cole, for example, does not require patients to cut or grow their hair to any particular length, while I believe other surgeons ask that patients shave their head (which helps them see the natural hair growth angles better).

I would contact your clinic and see if there are any guidelines as far as what length your hair should be. Often time, if you hair needs to be a particular length, the technicians can trim or shave it for you on the day of your procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    I think it depends on the doctor and the type of procedure you are having. Most FUE physicians will need to shave your donor region entirely though, at our clinic, we offer the option of non-shaven FUE. For a non-shaven procedure, it's important for patients to keep their hair long enough for Dr. Cole to clip it out of the way as he works. As far as length in the recipient area, I think it again depends on your surgeon. Dr. Cole, for example, does not require patients to cut or grow their hair to any particular length, while I believe other surgeons ask that patients shave their head (which helps them see the natural hair growth angles better).

I would contact your clinic and see if there are any guidelines as far as what length your hair should be. Often time, if you hair needs to be a particular length, the technicians can trim or shave it for you on the day of your procedure.
    Thank you for replying CIT Girl! I've decided to go with FUT method but afraid my hair is too short too handle. Too be honest, I can always grow my hair back so I'm not afraid to be shaved. I just wanted best results so Whatever is best for my surgeon. According to you, surgeons would ask patients to shave...meaning shorter is better for transplant. If that's the case then I feel relief

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Usually having between 1/2-1 inch of hair in the donor area will be enough to keep the donor wound covered up after the procedure. Having shaved or shorter hair can make the procedure a little easier for the doctor and staff, but also makes it more difficult for the patient to camoflauge the donor wound and recipient sites.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile