+ Reply to Thread

Question After some help/ advice!!

Hi all,

I am 22 years old and have been suffering hair loss around the crown area for a few years now, it has been reasonably gradual so nothing too bad at first however now it is getting really thin. I have also started to lose hair around the temples - receding however at the moment this isn't too bad.

I have been doing a lot of research and I am just after advice on what my next steps should be. I have tried rogaine before which seemed to halt the hair loss process some what however there was little if any regrowth.

I am looking at the possibility of using rogaine again with propecia 1mg however i am exploring all options available to me.

Another option is "The Belgravia Centre", UK - they offer a similar treatment with Minoxodil and propecia....I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using the Belgravia Centre and whether it was any good? - any personal reviews on this as I know there are some on their website but you never know!

A further option would be a HT. I have researched Doctors/ Clinics and have found 2 which seem very reliable and well regarded - Dr.Fargo (UK) and Dr.Feller (USA). I have also read that it is ill advised to have a HT before the age of 25.....and the majority of HT seem to be for the frontal region of the head not for the crown which is where I am suffering the greater hair loss. Once you have had a HT do you still need to take precautions to keep the new hair i.e. minoxidil and propecia or is it fully sustainable on its own?

Would anyone care to advise me on what they think is the best move?!

Thanks in advance,

Smashing

Getting on Propecia should be your first step. I don't think you have to go to a fancy clinic to do this, just get a prescription from your GP or dermatologist. You should probably wait to see how well you do on Propecia before considering having a hair transplant. If you do decide to move ahead with a transplant both doctors you are considering are top notch.

You all will never get the best help here because of the restrictions by these mods.

Quote Originally Posted by smashing View Post
    Hi all,

I am 22 years old and have been suffering hair loss around the crown area for a few years now, it has been reasonably gradual so nothing too bad at first however now it is getting really thin. I have also started to lose hair around the temples - receding however at the moment this isn't too bad.

I have been doing a lot of research and I am just after advice on what my next steps should be. I have tried rogaine before which seemed to halt the hair loss process some what however there was little if any regrowth.

I am looking at the possibility of using rogaine again with propecia 1mg however i am exploring all options available to me.

Another option is "The Belgravia Centre", UK - they offer a similar treatment with Minoxodil and propecia....I just wondered if anyone had any experience of using the Belgravia Centre and whether it was any good? - any personal reviews on this as I know there are some on their website but you never know!

A further option would be a HT. I have researched Doctors/ Clinics and have found 2 which seem very reliable and well regarded - Dr.Fargo (UK) and Dr.Feller (USA). I have also read that it is ill advised to have a HT before the age of 25.....and the majority of HT seem to be for the frontal region of the head not for the crown which is where I am suffering the greater hair loss. Once you have had a HT do you still need to take precautions to keep the new hair i.e. minoxidil and propecia or is it fully sustainable on its own?

Would anyone care to advise me on what they think is the best move?!

Thanks in advance,

Smashing
    Just to comment on your HT question.

The hair that is removed from the back (to be transplanted to the areas needed) are normally genetically resistant to balding; and will likely grow forever. So, you would not need to maintain it with minoxidil.

However, I use minoxidil AND generic finasteride (less expensive from of Propecia) to maintain the areas untouched. For example, I had HT in the temples areas only. So, the frontal and the vertex need to be maintained.

I hope that's clear.

I don't think I would bother going to a fancy clinic to obtain Propecia and Minoxidil. If you would value the support of professionals during your treatment then Boots would probably be a cheaper but just as worthwhile option. Boots have a 'hair retention programme'.

You could get Finasteride through the GP Dr John Ashcroft. That's where I get mine.

A combo of Finasteride and Minoxidil could do a lot for your crown and potentially the temples too, especially if the recession is minimal and recent.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thanks for your replies, I have booked myself an appointment with my doctor so hopefully something will come from that. If not I will check out the boots programme!

Thanks

The reason it is recommended that you wait until you are older before undergoing hair restoration surgery is that hair loss can continue throughout your life, while your donor supply is limited. Undergoing aggressive hair transplant surgery prematurely could leave you with further loss later in life and not enough donor hair to conceal it. It is also generally advised that you do not start hair restoration surgery in the crown region because it requires a lot of grafts to achieve an acceptable density, whereas these grafts would be better saved in case you need to treat your frontal region- where you could achieve a more cosmetically significant difference.

I agree with the other responses that your best bet at this time is to take finasteride and/or minoxidil.