+ Reply to Thread

Default Dr. Lee's Minoxidil 5% Plus & Minoxidil 5% w/o Propylene Glycol

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, so first of all I wanted to say Hi to everyone and introduce myself. I am 25 years old. About 2 years ago i first realized my hair is thinning, especially in the crown area. Exactly a year ago I started to take action, and used Rogaine Minoxidil 2% for 6 months, and then switched to Rogaine Minoxidil 5%. My crown filled up pretty nicely, and my hairline is looking pretty good. About 6 months ago I've also started using Nizoral Shampoo 2%. Otherwise I use shampoo's from the natural store.

I still shed a lot of hair when i wash my hair, especially if I do so every other day, so I've decided to try something like Minoxidil Plus 6% from Dr. Lee in hopes that my levels of DHT in the scalp will be decreased by the 0.1% Finasteride present in the solution.

Or instead, I was thinking to switch Minoxidil 5% W/O Propylene Glycol which is basically the same thing as Rogaine 5% less the propylene glycol. It is instead replaced with glycerine which is supposed to the same thing without affecting the absorbtion.

The results form Rogaine 5% have been great for me, but after 1-2 applications there's white buildup in the areas where I apply the solution. If I scratch my head (which sometimes I do inevitably because it gets itchy) the white buildup becomes flakey and looks like dandruff. If i don't apply Rogaine, I don't get anything (ive tried it for a few days). I am guessing this is because of the propylene glycol, since I didn't even experience something like this with Rogaine 2% which contains less propylene glycol.

Also, the propylene glycol makes the solution oilier, and makes my hair look and stay wet for longer so I am looking for alternatives, and it seems Dr. Lee is offering some good ones.

I'd like to know if anyone here has experienced with any of Dr. Lee's products, and more significantly with the Minoxidil 5% W/O Propylene Glycol or Minoxidil 6% Plus. I'd like to know how it compares with Rogaine Minoxidl 5% and if anyone is using them right now.

Anything would help,

Thank you!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I have had several patients over the years that used Dr. Lee's formulas and swear by it. I do think that most of your topical problems were coming from some of the bad ingredients in many of the Minoxidil products. The new Rogaine foam 5% I believe also does not have the Proylene Glycol.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you for the reply. I would like to try something else other than Rogaine 5% but I'm afraid to change it since the results in terms of hair growth have been so good. Is there any possibility whatsoever that another solution containing Minoxidil 5% such as Dr. Lee's could be less effective? I mean the active ingredient in both is Minoxidil alone, and it comes in the same concentration, while alcohol acts as the transport medium. Does propylene glycol influence the absorption of Minoxidil and if so, is it better than glycerine at promoting that?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I would tend to think that Propylene Glycol is not good for you in any capacity. I am sure they have several other mediums that can assist in Minoxidil delivery as good if not better which are safer and less irritating.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile