+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing 10 yr Donor Scar w/ pics

43 now and had my first hair transplant 20 years ago. Been a bumpy road with many ups and downs but in the end am happy with the result for the most part. Had my last HT back in 2000 while living in Thailand. It was by far superior to the botched first and two better HT's that followed. Each HT comprised of roughly 200 mini/micro graphs with the exception of the first. He just punched forty holes (8-16 hairs I think) at a time into my frontal hairline. Luckily, I heal well and don't scar easily.

Below are pics I took last night of my donor site that has stretched and other random hairline pics. The donor scar is not an issue unless I go down to a #2 trimmer. I can grow out my hair and my coverage is pretty good (included a pic from 2 years ago when I had longer hair).

Click image for larger version

Name:	01092011348 small.jpg

Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	8024

Name:	01092011346 small.jpg

Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	8025

Name:	01092011339 small.jpg

Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	8026

Name:	with Hair.jpg

Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	8027

I was debating doing something about the donor site scar so I could trim my hair short and not worry about the white gap and all the questions people ask. In my case, is this a viable option and in general your general opinions on my HT would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Looks like you have a lot of open donor scars. The hairline doesn’t look bad from that picture. You should talk to one of the doctors who do FUE. Dr. Cole comes to mind. You can find him on www.iahrs.org. He seems to do a lot of this type of corrective stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by blowmeup View Post
    Looks like you have a lot of open donor scars. The hairline doesn’t look bad from that picture. You should talk to one of the doctors who do FUE. Dr. Cole comes to mind. You can find him on www.iahrs.org. He seems to do a lot of this type of corrective stuff.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at his web site. I live in Asia so I'll have the work done here if I decide it can help. My wife tells me that they don't look like scars. Just two thin bald strips. When shaved, I had a few people ask me why I have shaved lines on the back as if I'm trying to be hip - LOL. Maybe I should grow one of those Billy Ray Cyrus dog tails on the back.

At this point, I really don't think you can tell I have had a HT if my hair isn't shave in the back. Attached some more pics and let me know if you agree.

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01092011353 small.jpg

Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	8033   Click image for larger version

Name:	01092011324 small.jpg

Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	8034   Click image for larger version

Name:	01092011337 small.jpg

Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	8035  

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Your best choice with those type of old donor scars is probably attempting to do some FUE into the scars. However, you may want to consider just keeping the hair in donor area a little longer and saving remaining donor follicles for future use if necessary.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Your best choice with those type of old donor scars is probably attempting to do some FUE into the scars. However, you may want to consider just keeping the hair in donor area a little longer and saving remaining donor follicles for future use if necessary.
    The hair loss has greatly diminished the last 10 years (43 yo now). I think I have adequate coverage to possibly do FUE. What about just reducing the scar ( or scars - not sure since I can't see them) or will it just stretch out again?

Thanks