+ Reply to Thread

Default Best for repair work

I'm in my early 40's. In the early 90's I had 3 scalp reductions and 300-400 punch grafting various sizes with donar closure, it seems like each procedure excellerated my hair loss. Unfortunately, the results are not very good-puggy and pitting and less than dense growth with a long scar in the crown and in the back. I decided on a hairpeice for the top and dermamatch for the scarring in the back. I guess I'm a class 6, med curly hair, going gray, donar scarring and I don't know how much I have left. I hate the hairpeice but I look so horrible without it. My goals are to have the most natural appearance and some coverage I think I do have some donar hair left and some body hair if needed. I'm willing to do take a second chance at this. Who should I see? Thanks in advance

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ral View Post
    I'm in my early 40's. In the early 90's I had 3 scalp reductions and 300-400 punch grafting various sizes with donar closure, it seems like each procedure excellerated my hair loss. Unfortunately, the results are not very good-puggy and pitting and less than dense growth with a long scar in the crown and in the back. I decided on a hairpeice for the top and dermamatch for the scarring in the back. I guess I'm a class 6, med curly hair, going gray, donar scarring and I don't know how much I have left. I hate the hairpeice but I look so horrible without it. My goals are to have the most natural appearance and some coverage I think I do have some donar hair left and some body hair if needed. I'm willing to do take a second chance at this. Who should I see? Thanks in advance
    Hey Ral,

I'm glad you found our new forum. I'm sorry to hear about what you've been through, but like I always say, you are certainly not alone. There are literally thousands of casualties who were left behind by the unscrupulous and unskilled hair transplant practitioners who littered the field in the early 90's. Sadly, there are still many hair transplant surgeons practicing today who have not evolved their practices to perform state of the art hair transplantation.

The good news is that there are a handful of truly skilled and ethical hair transplant surgeons who can perform, what I would consider to be, miracles for many who have been damaged in the past.

Understanding your options and having realistic expectations is key.
    A good first step would be to upload some photos in order for us to help you make an educated decision and to allow some of our physician members to take a look and to make some suggestions.

You can read about similar situations as your own and how some of the most respected hair transplant surgeons in the world have handled them on the IAHRS Hair Transplant Info Center.
    http://hairloss.iahrs.org/index.php?s=repair

For a complete list of IAHRS recommend surgeons you can go to:
    http://www.iahrs.org

You can be helped, but take your time and do your homework.

Hope this helps!
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Hi Ral,
    You're situation is very similar to mine..large plugs and scalp reductions. I went to Dr. Wong for repair and the result has been miraculous. Please check out my blog.
    Jim

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hi Ral--- First off, welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear of the hardship you have endured as a result of poor work performed by hamfisted quacks. Unfortunately, yours is a story I have heard many, many times before.

With that said, it is important you choose your next moves very carefully and plan accordingly.

Without seeing pics, it will obviously be difficult to assess your situation, so I will speak in more of a general form. Typically two options are available:

#1. Proceed without the use of a hairpiece--- target the donor using a combination of strip/fue to extract the proper amount of grafts to achieve a cosmetically pleasing appearance that disguises the poor work and frees you from the hair piece.

#2. Proceed with the idea that a combination of hairtransplantation and use of a crown piece will give maximum coverage and undetectability. Crown pieces are virtually undetectable and coupled with a natural, undetectable hairline/frontal core can provide excellent results.

Obviously, I would need some clear pics and your thoughts as to how you want to proceed (option wise) and Dr. Shapiro could take a look and offer a more precise recommendation.

We have performed countless repair procedures with great success and you can do a search on Shapiro Medical Group/Dr. Ron Shapiro to gain more information.

Please feel free to send me your pics at jason@shapiromedical.com
    and we can have a look and go from there.

Take Care,
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.