+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Feel the buzz

Inactive

Post Feel the buzz

Many men handle the pain of losing their hair by deciding to shave it all off.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/arti...having_it_off/

Yup
    If I had the confidence I would and should have doen it 10 yrs ago
    Now I'm stuck with a bald crown and a thin frontal 1/2
    I keep it as short as possible ( # 2 on the back and sides - the scar doesn't show through YET , and about 1/2 " to 3/4" on the top )
    Do I like it ?
    No
    I am sooooooooo self conscious
    But it is what it is and I now have to live and get used to this mess on top of me

Yes, a lot of men do this. Unfortunately for them, by pretending to like their hair loss in such a way, they make themselves fair game for ridicule in the eyes of the hirsute. In it's own way, crap hair (demonstrating a hatred of hair loss) is a defence. The average person wants to ridicule you because they think your baldness is funny but they tend to avoid risking offence. Personally, I have the confidence to not shave - I hate the shaved head and quite frankly I don't care what others think of me for refusing to adopt such a look. If they have some sort of issue with me not conforming to look like an egghead retard, that's their problem.

Also, as I still have some coverage, albeit thin and diffused (very much so at the front), it can look like an act of choice which means shaving would make me look like a thug. That's not a particularly good image in business.

This article has the same insecure imbeciles and flawed logic that is redundant at this point. The article tries to suggest that shaving the head is the answer and somehow eliminates the problem of baldness.

If a bald man shaves his head, is he no longer bald? How is the problem fixed? One of the idiots interviewed said that baldness bothered him because of the comments from others;that's why he decided to shave it. All this underscores is his insecurity. I thought insecurity was bad in a man? Another guy said, "Who was I fooling by trying to hide my hairloss?" Well, who does he think he's fooling by shaving his head? He's still bald, and obviously bothered by it, or else he wouldn't be shaving.

Another erroneous thing mentioned by idiots is that by shaving your head, you're bald by choice. REALLY??? No, you will always be bald because of MPB! There is no choice.

Another idiotic statement of advice is to grow out a goatee or other form of facial hair if you shave or buzz the head close. This is prime insecurity. By growing out a deliberate facial hair pattern, you are saying that you are trying to hide your face and disguise the way you look. This is also 'following a trend.' I thought the point of shaving or buzzing the head close was to look "neat." How does an afternoon shadow or goatee look neat? It looks unkept, scruffy and connotes laziness. Groom your head but not your face? Interesting. This isn't the 12th century.

This article has the same trite bullshit about shaving or buzzing the head, and only underscores the pathetic insecurity with which many bald men live. It takes more balls to be a natural bald person than it does to try to hide it by shaving. Shaving or close-buzzing is not the issue - the issue is why you're doing it.

Shaving your head obviously does not mean you are no longer bald. But for many men it is a solution.
    I guess its a case of 'well im going bald.....just shave it off and minimise the disruption it plays in my life'. Thats certainly the way i felt about it.
    No more trying to hide it, no more avoiding the wind, no more panic at the hairs in the shower and no more potentially risking your health for your hair. It lifts a weight off your shoulders and allows you to resume a life that isnt obsessed with your rapidly thinning hair.
    It will never be the answer for everyone, but for many men its a good option.

It definitely serves a purpose for those who simply no longer care. I'm currently trying to reach that stage; there seems little point continuing to focus my attention on my appearance when it's something I will never be happy with anyway. I'd be far better off focusing on what I am good at.

However, the logical conclusion that I have reached is to not shave anyway. What's the point if I don't care about my appearance anymore after all? If we talk in terms of numbers, 1-10 with 10 being most attractive, the best I can ever hope for is a 3 which means there's very little point in expending too much effort and I might as well stay as a 2 (instead, I can focus on a degree and get another first or I can find more clients and grow my business).

I think its always a good thing to not obsess on your appearance.
    Fixed - you seem to have very low self esteem. I dont know of many people who would rate themselves a 2.....even if they were! I think its probably true that you will never be happy with your appearance.......until you feel more at ease with yourself. Hope you find ways to feel better about yourself.

Inactive

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jooder View Post
    I think its probably true that you will never be happy with your appearance.
    Indeed. Remember the recent study of the link between suicide and accutane which found that "the increased suicide risk may be due to a patient's despair that his or her social life did not improve after acne treatment"? It's the same thing with hair loss -- while a cure for it may indeed drastically improve most men's lives, there are also going to be many men who will end up finding out that even with full heads of hair, their lives still suck.

I think it's good to be a realist. There's nothing worse than some over-confident ugly person!

I think a 2 is realistic for me, what with being slightly overweight and balding. With effort, I could reach a 3 or 4 but what's the point? There's no real difference being a 2 or a 4 is there? And 4 is the average bald man's 'glass ceiling.'

Sure, there are a few who break through and maybe reach a 6, and this handful includes the majority of balding celebrities. Of course, those who were 10s when they had hair distort the reality of balding for an average man and may even remain attractive to women. That's why women are always able to talk about bald celebrities they fancy, but when challenged struggle to provide any examples of bald men that they are attracted to in their daily lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    That's why women are always able to talk about bald celebrities they fancy, but when challenged struggle to provide any examples of bald men that they are attracted to in their daily lives.
    If this were true........ then all bald non celebrities would be single.