+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Feel the buzz

Not so, because women consider other factors such as personality to a greater degree than men. Indeed, if you ever read the trashy 'women who like bald men' threads on the internet, you'll notice most will say they will go out with a bald man despite their baldness, not because they find it attractive. They do see it as a flaw (besides a few fetishists of course) but not a deal breaker in and of itself.

So, baldness means you have to be better than someone with hair to get the girl you want; you're an underdog, but not out of the race. Besides, your eventual partner will be flawed too. They're no more likely to think your baldness is attractive than you'll find cellulite attractive, it's just not a deal breaker.

Thus, baldness is an ugly problem that damages appearances, but appearances are only for first impressions. For the rest, we have talent, personality and hygeine.

Fixed - At one time you would have said that baldness absolutely is a deal breaker, that it is the most repulsive thing around.......and that anybody who is bald is doomed when it comes to women.
    I still find your attitude extreme.....but you have mellowed a lot. At least now you are beginning to see that life as a bald guy isnt that bad after all

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    Yes, a lot of men do this. Unfortunately for them, by pretending to like their hair loss in such a way, they make themselves fair game for ridicule in the eyes of the hirsute. In it's own way, crap hair (demonstrating a hatred of hair loss) is a defence. The average person wants to ridicule you because they think your baldness is funny but they tend to avoid risking offence. Personally, I have the confidence to not shave - I hate the shaved head and quite frankly I don't care what others think of me for refusing to adopt such a look. If they have some sort of issue with me not conforming to look like an egghead retard, that's their problem.

Also, as I still have some coverage, albeit thin and diffused (very much so at the front), it can look like an act of choice which means shaving would make me look like a thug. That's not a particularly good image in business.
    If I remember correctly, you're British. Through becoming common I think the shaved head look has shed most of it's thug image in Britain. I see shaved heads everywhere these days.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I think men are too consumed by their appearance and don't realize that women aren't as concerned about looks as men are. Perhaps the prism through which men see the world blights their understanding of the manner in which women think. Women are far more concerned about a man's height, status, wealth, personality etc. than they are his looks. Being tall is far more important to a woman than hair. Hair is primarily important to us!

With regard to hair, one of the main issues for me is what it represents. One's ethnicity, genetics, facial features and biological idiosyncrasies are partially created by it. For instance, if I see an Asian woman, one of the first things I notice is her jet-black hair and dark eyes. If I see a Norwegian woman, I notice her blue eyes and light/blond hair. It's part of your biological makeup. When I was a kid, I had bright blond hair due to my Scandanavian ancestry. When I buzz my hair off(which I do regularly because I have to)I lose a part of what makes me who I am biologically and genetically. I have lost part of my identity.

I saw a report on TV that researchers recently discovered that men go bald because their stem cells do not produce progenitor cells. One researcher said that he thinks they will be able to figure out how to make the stem cells produce progenitor cells within a decade. The good news is that they know that bald men have the supply of stem cells like everyone else;they just have to figure out how to get them to function properly. I don't know if this will come to fruition but I sure as hell hope it's plausible. The story was published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation.

Yes, it's some more exciting news building on the past year. Things are definitely looking better than they did a couple of years ago, although it does make the wait even more excrutiating! The scientists claiming it will take a decade really ought to work with Histogen (instead of suing them? Not sure if it's them) - hopefully shared research would cut down the workload.

In terms of appearance, the point I was making is that very few people find baldness attractive, but a lot of people can look beyond such a flaw. For example, women are less attracted to looks than men and will therefore date a man who is bald not because they're attracted to a bare scalp but despite it.

The problem that persists is the difficulty in making a first impression. From a straw poll of women (nothing more reliable) I've come to the conclusion that they're prepared to date a bald man despite his condition but they'd have to fall for his personality and other charms first. So, presumably bars and clubs are generally not a fertile hunting ground for bald men. Instead, bald men are forced to play a much longer, more patient game (but at least they're spared dating the superficial, although I think a lot of younger men would rather like to date a few superficial women before they settle down). Could baldness thus force such a maturity on the 'wearer?'

A bald man's main obstacle though is not women at all, it's making an impression with men who still have hair. I believe that the bald man's biggest disadvantage comes from their lesser ability to make a good first impression in job interviews, when dealing with clients and when networking. Also, do note, men are image focused and hair makes a huge difference. When I wasn't losing my hair, I'm pretty sure I subconsciously pitied the bald. In fact, I even pitied those with hair who chose to shave it off. Presumably many men with hair look at me and pity me now. That's not the best first impression that I want to make at interview.

I've tried to analyse my past success at job interviews to identify any patterns that back this theory up. I've had interviews with seven companies since I began noticeably balding (not a huge sample I know) and the results I've found were as follows:

Successful interviews with men with hair 0 (2 unsuccessful interviews)
    Successful interviews with bald men 4 (all successful)
    Successful interviews with women 4

I should note that some of the interviews with bald men/women were a panel of two, with one of each. Five successful interviews out of seven, failing only two, which happened to be the only interviews I've had with men with hair.

Based on this analysis, I do wonder what my male 'haired' senior management thought of me at my previous job. No wonder I never got promoted!

Inactive

Thumbs down

In terms of appearance, the point I was making is that very few people find baldness attractive, but a lot of people can look beyond such a flaw. For example, women are less attracted to looks than men and will therefore date a man who is bald not because they're attracted to a bare scalp but despite it.
    Your statement falsely presumes that:

a) Women in general perceive hair loss in men as a "flaw."

b) Not finding a feature attractive is the same thing as finding a feature unattractive (rather than simply regarding the feature as neutral, neither positive nor negative).

a) Women in general perceive hair loss in men as a "flaw."
    I think they do. That's why women will often say they could love a man despite their hair loss, not because of it. I strongly recommend you put what women say on this subject under scrutiny, because this tends to be the trend that I've picked up.

My theory is that for most women, hair loss is a flaw but not a 'deal breaker.' However, it is also very damaging to all important first impressions (perhaps this is why women deserve to be messed around by 'perfect' looking bastards) which means it's much harder for any deals to be done!

I think the major concern for a balding man though should not be women but their careers, especially if they work for an alpha male with lots of hair. Do bear in mind WE hate baldness, so they probably do too. And as a result, we make a bad first impression on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixed by 35 View Post
    Do bear in mind WE hate baldness, so they probably do too. And as a result, we make a bad first impression on them.
    It is the men who let their baldness affect them who come last. If a bald man went on a date with the 'im bald, i know she wont be attracted to me' attitude.......then she wont be! Your emotions are always revealed by your body language.

I think the major concern for a balding man though should not be women but their careers, especially if they work for an alpha male with lots of hair.

Alpha male?

Thumbs up The Dildo Cure

I can't believe how pathetic everyone is to complain about hairloss. I bought a 7 inch dildo and glued it to my forehead. Now when I go out, people don't even notice my baldness;they just notice the dildo! This is so easy to deal with. There are plenty of viable solutions for hairloss.