+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

I notice that docs haven't been posting as much lately.

Why? because they can't even stand behind their words let alone their work

and it can do is lead to lawsuits

isn't that right docs?

Man, I really wish a doctor would come along and say: "Here's how we're gonna fix hair loss, and it's not gonna involve hair transplants".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 4000 View Post
    Are there HT Doctors in the US that stand by their work
    This is an unreasonable expectation. There are too many things that are outside of a doctor’s control. They are not making wigets. They are helping you treat and/or cover up an inherited physical trait that bothers you. They do the best they can with what your body gives them. Patient compliance plays a major role as well. Treating and/or covering up hair loss is neither a quick process nor an easy process.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    This is an unreasonable expectation. There are too many things that are outside of a doctor’s control. They are not making wigets. They are helping you treat and/or cover up an inherited physical trait that bothers you. They do the best they can with what your body gives them. Patient compliance plays a major role as well. Treating and/or covering up hair loss is neither a quick process nor an easy process.
    no it isn't, if they are honest

because if they can't do the job, all they need to do is say so....
    doctors just need to be honest from the start, show their bad results not just the good results

give realistic expectations based on what they have been able to do on like minded characteristics of their past work.

It really isn't that hard. Don't waste the patients time and money.

All doctors and clinics should stand behind their work and not hide the fact like it's a state secret. When we say "results guaranteed" we are not guaranteeing that one will be completely satisfied. To say this outright would be wrong as it is impossible to predict if/when a patient will be happy.

As a consultant it is my job to utilize my experience and know-how to get into the patient's head (so to speak) as much as possible and try to determine whether or not we can deliver what he wants before he has his procedure. Great growth does not always equate to great results in the eyes of the patient as "great" is relative. If the patient is for some reason expecting a density or coverage that cannot be had with a given number of grafts, no matter how well it grows, then he won't be happy and somewhere along the line something in the process fell apart as the patient either failed to be properly educated or he failed to absorb the information properly. There are always two sides to a great result or a failed result and both are subject to interpretation.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

This is an unreasonable expectation. There are too many things that are outside of a doctor’s control.
    no it isn't, if they are honest.
    Honesty on the doctor’s part is not enough. Honesty on the patient's part would also be needed. The patient also needs to be aware of and fully understand the possibilities and limitations. Judging from what I am reading in this forum, many neither understand enough or are aware enough of the possibilities or limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotronic View Post
    There are always two sides to a great result or a failed result and both are subject to interpretation.
    This is a very good reason why expecting a guarantee is an unreasonable expectation. Not the only reason but a very good reason.

Honesty on the doctor’s part is not enough. Honesty on the patient's part would also be needed. The patient also needs to be aware of and fully understand the possibilities and limitations. Judging from what I am reading in this forum, many neither understand enough or are aware enough of the possibilities or limitations.

This is a very good reason why expecting a guarantee is an unreasonable expectation. Not the only reason but a very good reason.
    it is the law, the doctor or staff is responsible to educate the patient not the other way around.

it is the law, the doctor or staff is responsible to educate the patient not the other way around.
    I do not know what made you think I suggested it was the other way around. Nothing I said suggested that.

The patient does have some responsibility here though. The patient is part of the team - and the patient needs to be an active member of that team. If the patient does not fully understand something the doctor or staff is telling them, the patient needs to speak up. It is not the doctor’s fault if the patient does not speak up when they do not fully understand. It is ultimately the patient’s decision to go through with the procedure. If a patient is not fully aware of and fully understand the possibilities and limitations, the patient should not go forward with the procedure.

If a doctor or their staff has intentionally miss-led a patient, that is a whole different story. But I don't think that is what we are talking about here. Or is it?

As I've said before, there are several factors that go into this equation. For one, I just don't think that hair transplants are an effective solution at all for hair loss. A full head of hair consists of at least 100,000 follicles (maybe even more) and the most that I've seen a doctor transplant in one sitting is a bit over 4000 follicles. Transplantation simply does not yield nearly enough hair to achieve anything close to a full density of hair. That's why I hear a lot of doctors and others saying that a patient should go into a hair transplant "with reasonable expectations", which I translate to meaning 'don't expect anything close to original density'. Sure, I've seen some people with 10,000 or something total grafts that look pretty good, but those are few and far between. And that takes a whole world of commitment including a lifetime dedication to taking Propecia (so that the hair around the transplanted hair doesn't fall out) and permanent scarring that will never go away. Most doctors that I see on here transplant about 2000-something follicles in one sitting (a lot of them less), and those results look far from impressive and not worth getting my head permanently sliced and diced.

So with regards to this thread, I believe that a lot of doctors don't give you any type of guarantee because hair transplantation is far from a foolproof procedure. I've heard about stuff going wrong all the time (through posts on here), and IMO, the results are not at all worth the risk for a far from perfect result and permanent head scarring.

Inactive

Not 100.000 follicles its 100.000 HAIRS thats the difference