+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A briefing?

Default A briefing?

Hello to all! My name is Allan, I'm 19, and pretty sure I'm balding. I've lurked on the forum for a while, and regardless of what research I do, I'm bewildered as to what a definitive prevention product is. Many names like "Propecia" float, but seem to drag pros and cons with them.

I'm essentially not "bald" per say, but I have a rapidly receding hairline, and just flicking my hair with my hands leaves a lump of hair on the table. My father balded about my age, and I have very thin hair, so I'm sure I'm pre-disposed to it.

I was wondering if any of you fine fellows could really summarise available products to me? From experience, what would you all recommend for someone of my position? I may as well prevent further loss whilst I still have a good amount of hair, rather than waiting until I have less.

I'm not looking for surgery, more something I can take/apply daily with good results. And although I think microfibres are awesome, I don't want that kind of thing yet. Just a product name and a couple of lines about it, would be amazing. No need for information on products like Histogen, unless somebody on here has tried it.

Cheers guys, I look forward to chatting with you all! Have great-rest-of-holidays!

-Allan

Right now the only hair loss treatments with proven efficacy are Propecia (also called Finasteride) and Rogaine (also called Minoxidil).

Propecia is a pill that you take once a day. In the U.S. it is available by prescription only, so you will need to see a doctor to get a prescription for it. There are a number of thrieads on this forum dedicated to its pros and and cons, you should definitely check them out before you decide to go on Propecia. Some men who take it have experienced sexual side effects, such as erectile dysfunction, loss of libido, and problems with ejaculation. Rogaine is a topical over the counter medicine that you apply to the thinning areas of the scalp twice a day.

Both Propecia and Rogaine slow down the rate of hair loss, but are much less effective at regrowing hair, especially if your loss is in the front and temple areas of the scalp.

I hope this helps.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! Normally people are very unclear and babble on, but you hit it on the head! I won't risk willy problems for Propecia, but I'll check out the Rogaine.

Thanks a lot buddy!