+ Reply to Thread

Default Want a new lease on life

Hello all,

First off I would like to say that I am very impressed with the quality of discussions on this forum and is the main reason why I was comfortable enough to join. Hair loss is a very touchy subject for most (including myself) and the maturity and frank dialogue is quite reassuring. Thank you everyone.

Well here goes my sob story.....(I will try to keep it brief)

About 15 years ago, my family and I had moved away and I pursued my education. I was having a lot of coping problems, family and relationship issues as well as isolation anxiety. This became a perfect storm of events for me to start loosing my hair. It was subtle at first but became a quite noticeable within a couple of years. Out of a rebelious state, I one day decided to shave my head and get my ears pierced. As you can imagine that changed my appearance drastically and my parents were not impressed. It didn't matter because I was okay with it and actually liked this look.

Fast forward time and it is now 10 years later and I am still shaving my head almost everyday. As you can imagine I am starting to get tired of this look. The main issue is that over the years, the hairs on my crown have eroded to the point where growing my hair back would look patchy and very obvoius that I have gone bald.

I am going through a messy divorce now and need some positive reinforcement in my life. On a positive note, like a lot of you, I have put my efforts into regaining my fitness which thankfully is going okay. I have a new mind set on things and am thinking clearer now. However, I don't like what I see in the mirror. I feel as though I want to live my life to the fullest while I have the chance and confidently at that. I am sorry to sound shallow but it is becoming a hinderance to me now.

This upcoming year, I plan to quit smoking and work on my appearance. I just feel really lost and don't know where to start. Propecia, Rogaine, hair transplant.....what?!? I don't want to take pills if I don't have to because I fear I will grow hair everywhere but the top of my head.

Thoughts, comments, critisms are welcomed..........I have a thick skin.