Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ft7we
    • Dec 2010

Question about Hair Transplants

I was wondering what the recovery time is like after having a HT in terms of the area where the hair was transplanted to. Does it remain noticeable that a procedure was done to the area for quite a while (e.g., inflammation, etc.)? I see these pictures online of guys immediately post-op and was wondering how long befofe the area starts to look somewhat normal again.

As an example, if someone had a HT which filled in some of the frontal hairline, how long before that person could return to a workplace setting and not have it be highly visible that a procedure was performed? I'm specifically asking about the appearance of the skin where the hair was transplanted to.

Thanks.
  • mattj
    Doctor Representative
    • Oct 2009

This is highly dependant on your own healing characteristics and skin tone, as well as the size of the area covered during the procedure. Smaller procedures obviously being less noticeable overall. Of course, if you have hair that can be styled to cover the area this also helps.

Typically, the scabs will fall off at around 10 days post-op (and at this point can be gently helped off) and the transplanted hairs will generally shed (leaving the follicle) after a few weeks. After the initial inflammatory phase the redness will fade after a few weeks, but this can vary a great deal and some redness or faint pinkness can remain for longer, especially in fair-skinned individuals. It is possible to hide this with cosmetics (make-up).
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Comment

• DAVE52
      • Sep 2010

I returned to work one week after . No one could tell the difference but I had existing hair to camouflage

Also FWIW I don';t smoke or drink so I apparently healed welll

What is the connection between smoking, drinking and surgery? What does it matter what medications a patient takes, or what herbal products or vitamin supplements a patient may use to improve his/her health?

The connection between all of these and surgery is their potential to contribute to excessive bleeding during the operation, and bleeding or "oozing" after the operation.

Comment

• ft7we
        • Dec 2010

Hi Dave52,

One week, that's prety great. Did they shave the donor area? Was that noticeable?

Comment

• DAVE52
          • Sep 2010

Nope
          No shaving
          I had this done 10 yrs ago approx 2000 grafts
          Right now it's liveable with

Comment

Working...