+ Reply to Thread

Default 19 and receding. In desperate need of help! :(

Hello everyone. I'm 19 and I recently discovered these forums and have been looking around for quite some time looking for answers to my own situation. I am in a very stressful time in my life because my hairline is receding quite rapidly. I first noticed this 2 years ago when I was losing hair all around my head but didn't make too much of it. It's until recently where I really was shocked to see how much hair I lose at the temples. Especially on my right side. I have not gone to any doctors or dermatologists. I have been taking Beta Sitosterol pills for 6 months and it seems to have stopped the overall hairloss all over my head but it seems its not doing much for my hairline. As far as my family history goes, My father is 54 and is on a Norwood Scale IV. His father still has a full head of hair at 87 years old. My mother's father is completely bald. A lot of my uncles from both sides of the family are balding or bald but they all started to bald in their early 30's. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm obsessed with my hair. I grow it out to try and cover it up but then get frustrated and buzz my hair to get even more depressed when I see my hairline. I'm also starting college soon so my confidence level and self esteem is extremely low. I barely get out of the house anymore. I feel like I'm 40 years old. I just feel like there's no hope for me at all.

Here's some pics. I've recently buzzed my hair.

Left Side:
    Right Side:

And here's a pic of my hair just 5-6 months ago.

Someone please help. I'm desperate.

I think you look good with a buzzed head

Look, there is no doubt that hair loss sucks at any age and at your age it can take a huge emotional toll . One thing that I have learned from this forum is not to panic!!!! The shaved look looks very good on you. If the herbs are helping you keep your hair loss stable then you have nothing to worried about. You can always switch to Propecia if you don’t think the herbs are not really doing the trick. At this stage you should be satisfied with keeping things as they are and try not to concentrate on getting every hair back that you lost.

SaulM64, whatever you do, do NOT get a hair transplant. You are way too young for that.

Please read the comments from others in the thread "transplant nightmare" before considering any surgery.

I agree with the above commenters that you look great with a buzzed or shaved head. Do not get any scars on your head. Don't have surgery. There are many of us who regret getting it done.

Yeah man listen the the fellas. I am 24 and have been losing my hair for about 2 and a half years. I have been on for propecia for almost one and I think it has haulted the process for at least now. But I shave my head with a razor and it really makes you feel better because you don't have to worry about noticing your hair because you obviousley shaved on purpose. I still have a lont of hair but you can see the stubble like a lot of nba players wear their hair. If you really feel like it is getting you down I would suggest trying it once and see if you feel any better. But please don't get to the point were you don't want to go out and enjoy life. YOU ARE TOO YOUNG TO BE A SHUT IN.
    Best Of Luck,
    Nassau

Hey man, i'm 22 and have the same kind of hair loss as you, you have thicker hair than me though, I think. I am not sure, but it looks like we have the same amount of hair loss, give or take some.

I'm 7 months in finasteride, 6 months in minoxidl and my hair loss stopped and has thicken a bit on the top. At 19-21, I had my hair loss way worse than it was now.

The key is patience.

grow your hair out on top, use dermamatch and comb over the temples. problem solved for 1-2 years whilst you also use prop + Minox to maintain and regrow.

That is your action plan you can do something about his.