+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default flaky scalp 6mths post HT

Hello. Have a rough and flaky scalp 6months or so after a hair transplant. Anyone know why this is and what I can do?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

I have the same thing and I don't want to alarm you but its been a year for me. I'm seeing a dermatologist next week but you should go in now.

From what I've read it might be seborrheic dermatitis but I'm not entirely certain. My recipient zone is red and itchy all over with flaky scaly skin.

You can also try T-Gel, Nizoral, Head and Shoulders or Denorex shampoos. The Denorex seems to have helped but the severity comes and goes. If you get any more info I'd like to know as well.

Thanks for the reply. Have been using T-Gel. Will try Denorex. Thanks for the tip there.

Is fairly unsettling. I'm concerned that all my [ludicrously expensive] grafts are going to fall out. The company that performed the work have said the flakiness can occasionally happen but haven't really said anything else.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in the UK? If so can I ask who you went to?

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Sometimes using a few different anti-itch shampoos on a alternating basis works well. You may also want to consider Nizoral/Ketoconazole shampoo to have available when needed.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by barry77 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Have been using T-Gel. Will try Denorex. Thanks for the tip there.

Is fairly unsettling. I'm concerned that all my [ludicrously expensive] grafts are going to fall out. The company that performed the work have said the flakiness can occasionally happen but haven't really said anything else.

If you don't mind me asking, are you in the UK? If so can I ask who you went to?
    barry77,

Don't worry. You won't lose (pop) out any grafts at six months post-op. When the condition persists for this long, definitely see a derm.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Sorry not in the UK but I'm seeing a derm tomorrow. I'll update on any findings. Its strange how my hair seems to fall out much more when my scalp is itchy which usually means its oily. However I wouldn't worry about the HT hair, it shouldn't be affected.

We will look forward to the feedback and update.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks for the replies. I hope none of the grafts are effected. Have had some fallout but maybe it's just normal fallout and not the grafts 'taking' or whatever the correct term is.

After using T-gel for a couple of weeks now my scalp seems less flaky. It is however quite lumpy particularly at the crown. I'll give it another week or so before I'll consider another course of action if there's no improvement.

Hmm. Currently concerned by the occasional 'groups' of hairs attached to a piece of skin that are flaking off my head. Are the transplanted hairs firmly rooted into my head at 6 months +?
    The work was performed by a reputable company (Farjo).
    Should I book an appointment with a dermatologist?

After my derm looked me over he said that my symptoms looked like follicularitis and he recommended a few shampoos including T-gel, tersaseptic and prescribed stieprox and a topical steroid betamethasone valerate to treat the skin condition (itchiness, redness, inflammation).

He said the redness seemed to be a temporary condition (although its been over a year) and would likely fade more and more although things may flare up from time to time due to inflammation. Not sure what's causing it right now but I have to alternate with these new treatments throughout the week before a followup in 6 weeks.

Not sure if this helps at all but if anything its more reason to see a derm immediately to get your own situation sorted out.