+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

well I do think some people do have side effects, almost any drug these days many people have side effects... personally i think there are more people without side effects then those that do with this particular drug.... however the side effect of ED is a big one and if someone gets that they are going to warn people quickly and i can understand why.

If it happens to a lot of people more then i realize then i guess I am one of the lucky ones cause I have never had a ED problem in the 12 years i have taken it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinning@30
    I recently quit propecia due to side effects. I took it for about 9 months, so I can't really say whether it worked for me, but I definitely did not regrow any hair in that time. I did notice a significant decrease in libido. I had less interest in sex, fewer spontaneous erections, and the erections I did have were less firm. This past year has been a very stressful time for me. I had a lot going on in terms of my career and buying a home, so I don't know whether this was from all my stress or from the propecia, but one that had to be from the propecia was a significant decrease in semen. It was so noticeable that my partners commented on it, and my significant other even became convinced that I was having secret affairs. To be fair though, now that I have been off it a month, things seem to be returning to normal.
    Do you think it might have just been due to stress or something else, or that it was all in your head? Now that you aren't on Fin are you just going to accept the hair loss or are you planning something else?

Originally Posted by Thinning@30
    I recently quit propecia due to side effects. I took it for about 9 months, so I can't really say whether it worked for me, but I definitely did not regrow any hair in that time. I did notice a significant decrease in libido. I had less interest in sex, fewer spontaneous erections, and the erections I did have were less firm. This past year has been a very stressful time for me. I had a lot going on in terms of my career and buying a home, so I don't know whether this was from all my stress or from the propecia, but one that had to be from the propecia was a significant decrease in semen. It was so noticeable that my partners commented on it, and my significant other even became convinced that I was having secret affairs. To be fair though, now that I have been off it a month, things seem to be returning to normal.
    Do you think it might have just been due to stress or something else, or that it was all in your head? Now that you aren't on Fin are you just going to accept the hair loss or are you planning something else?
    As far as the lowered libido, I really can't say for sure whether it was just in my head, or caused by stress and not Propecia. Lots of things can cause low libido, and I've also been dealing with depression brought on by the hair loss, which was probably a contributor. On the other hand, I don't see how stress, anxiety, or even depression could cause a consistent decrease in the volume of semen. In my case, it was noticeable to others, so I know that wasn't all in my head, and that had to be from the Propecia. I'm beginning to think that the Propecia sexual side effects are underreported. Think about it: most Propecia users are men facing prostate problems/cancer rather than MPB, and they tend to be older, usually past their sexual primes. Therefore, they are probably less likely to notice the sexual side effects, and if they do, they may attribute them to general aging or whatever other medical conditions they have rather than the Propecia. Also, the sexual side effects are embarrassing to discuss, so not all men that have them are going to admit it, even when it is for the good of science.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now that I'm off it. My hair loss is devastating, and I wish Propecia had worked for me. I'm still doing generic Minoxidil twice a day, and Nizoral 2-3 times a week. Other than that, I'm hoping some of the new treatments in the pipeline pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan555 View Post
    You're right, I should not have said they are bogus. The hysteria about them is bogus, however. There are many, many drugs that carry a much larger risk of long term or permanent side effects that don't get nearly as much attention. Hypogonadism caused by Propecia is exceedingly rare and it's easy to test for. Many of the men who claim long term side effects have normal hormone levels, so it is almost certainly a psychological effect.

I do feel for the men who have suffered long term side effects, but the hysteria does not fairly represent reality. It would be like encouraging people not to drive a car because they might get in an accident.
    You really should know better than to make bullshit statements like this. People who have come forward with permanent side effects regarding Propecia have a right to make their claims, and I don't believe they are bogus as more than a few who are making claims are backed up by legit physicians. Time will tell. You speak with the authority of a doctor, but I'm pretty sure you ain't.

All I can say is that I have been on it since 1999, I have never had trouble with an erection, I dont know anything about sperm count becuase I never had it measured (how the heck are people measuring this anyway?). I use finastraside along with minoxidil which has sustained my hairloss so far and Im 36 years old.

Take that for what its worth.

Wow...I am truly surprised by the amount of people eagerly dismissing the side effects of this drug. In my experience (and my friends), it can have some pretty nasty side effects. Here is my story -

I took Propecia for roughly 4 years or so from 2004 to 2008.

Of my 3 friends and myself that tried Propecia, all four of us experienced some sort of sexual side effect to varying degrees. The most common was lack of ejaculate, stiffness of erection.

I also experienced a very troubling thing I’ve yet to read about. It occurred about once a month; a very painful, throbbing prostate immediately following orgasm. This would last about 30 minutes, and it was the equivalent of getting “kicked in the nuts”, yet it was your prostate. Scary.

I’ve since stopped taking Propecia (as have all my friends except one) and I never really got back the volume of ejaculate I had before taking it, but thankfully, I no longer have those painful throbbing prostate sessions I used to get.

Keep in mind what a company’s particular motive is when they conduct these “studies”. Negative results will literally affect potential BILLIONS in revenue, so it is not in their interest to truthfully report what they conclude. This is like asking the tobacco companies to determine if smoking is hazardous, or if it's all just "fear mongering".

The “2%” figure for sexual side effects is horse$hit. It’s likely 60-80%. What’s scary, is the fact there’s an emerging consensus within the medical field that some of these effects appear to be permanent.

I still can't believe how little people understand about this drug.

Some of the side effects of finasteride or dutasteride such as impotence. lowered sex drive, suppressed hpta (excess estrogen), increased fat and less muscle hardness, ect - can be vastly minimised by taking an aromtise inhibitor such as arimidex or femara.

The reason is when taking finasteride/dutasteride by themselves, you lower DHT levels, this increases testosterone levels, this new higher testosterone level will now convert to estrogen which in turn makes you soft (impotent), lowers sex drive, induces gyno ect.

I take 1mg of dutasteride everyday, finasteride 5mg split (2,5mg) twice per day, nizoral and minoxidil daily as well, I take femara at 1,25 mg every 5 days for estrogen management. I get constant stiffies guys. Don’t believe all these horror stories from people who walked blindly into self medication with a powerful drug without knowing the MOA. This drug is easily managed if you are prepared to do the research!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter84 View Post
    I take 1mg of dutasteride everyday, finasteride 5mg split (2,5mg) twice per day, nizoral and minoxidil daily as well, I take femara at 1,25 mg every 5 days for estrogen management. I get constant stiffies guys. Don’t believe all these horror stories from people who walked blindly into self medication with a powerful drug without knowing the MOA. This drug is easily managed if you are prepared to do the research!
    You are full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by skipstah70 View Post
    You are full of shit.
    What's your point? Are you just p1ssed off that you couldn't work this out for yourself?