Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BoSox
    • Jun 2010

Avodart

Is the FDA even going to approve this drug? It's almost 2011.. and I'm sick of seeing how great Avodart is compared to Propecia, but not FDA approved yet. Does anybody have more information about its release?
  • Pentarou
    • Apr 2013

Looks like GSK may be starting trials for Dutasteride 0.5mg as a licensed hair loss treatment.

Comment

• Shan
      • Feb 2013

there are too many people having imaginary side effects using Fin, so don't think they will approve DUT

Comment

• clandestine
        • Aug 2011

Hardly cutting edge; this was an unnecessary bump considering this forum section, Pentarou.

Comment

• Pentarou
          • Apr 2013

This could lead to a 'new' product licenced as a hair loss treatment being made available from a Big Pharma corp, so it was worth mentioning.

Comment

• BaldJerry
            • May 2012

Originally posted by BoSox
            Is the FDA even going to approve this drug? It's almost 2011.. and I'm sick of seeing how great Avodart is compared to Propecia, but not FDA approved yet. Does anybody have more information about its release?
            Are you seriously waiting for it to be approved as a hairloss treatment? It's approved already for BPH. IT works for hairloss better than fin and talk to any pharmacist or doctor cause it works better for BPH than fin as well.

Comment

• PatientlyWaiting
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pentarou
              This could lead to a 'new' product licenced as a hair loss treatment being made available from a Big Pharma corp, so it was worth mentioning.
              I agree.

Also, you never know, maybe if this drug gets approved for hair loss and sold as a hair loss treatment, it would be much cheaper. I can afford generic as it is, but getting it for even cheaper certainly won't hurt. One more thing, it would be nice to see more detailed clinical trials on a larger scale. The one available now is pretty informative but I mean a full 3 phase trial would nice.

Comment

• Pentarou
                • Apr 2013

Comment

• thatkidd
                  • Aug 2012

I took 1mg of Avodart twice a week and 1mg of Propecia 5 times a week and within a month I had extremely puffy nipples. I immediately got off Avodart and stayed on Propecia and the puffy nips are still here 8 months later.....sucks.

One reason why it hasn't been approved probably

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                    • Sep 2010

I would LOVE if Avo was cheaper. Costs 400+ every time I refill

Not sure it would necessarily get cheaper if approved for hair though....when Propecia came out it was actually more expensive than Proscar per mg. (Insurance not covering it was no help)

Then again Propecia was 1/5 the dose of Proscar. If Avo was approved for hair, maybe they would sell 1-3 mg capsules since it is much more dose dependent?

Comment

• KO1
                      • Jan 2012

Yeah, I just don't see the benefit to GSK in getting avodart approved. Propecia was not a big success, what is the point in putting Avodart through? But who knows....

What I do is take branded Avodart and alternate it with generic Dutas....just to be safe in case my Dutas is fake.

Comment

• konfusion
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by 25 going on 65
                        I would LOVE if Avo was cheaper. Costs 400+ every time I refill
                        I don't care about the price, I just wish it worked on me

Comment

• 25 going on 65
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by konfusion
                          I don't care about the price, I just wish it worked on me
                          I am sorry about that. How long are/were you on it? And what was your source? Also did you use it with anything else?

& yes I agree the price is nothing compared to the prospect of balding, but ideally I would be on 2.5 mg for maximum regrowth. However this would be close to $700 every month I believe....not that much less than what I pay for rent in my own place! Maybe someday, but right now forget about it

Comment

• Pentarou
                            • Apr 2013

Update: http://www.gsk-clinicalstudyregister.com/study/114264

Comment

• bradpitthair
                              • Jun 2014

Comment

Working...