+ Reply to Thread

Default jrsam's story, (20) just started Big 3: some encouragement for you all

At my most recent visit to the hair salon for a haircut back in October, the stylist commented that I should look into their $50 conditioner because sebum was causing my hair to thin. I called BS, but came home and was horrified to realized how thin everything was (diffusing). A month later I finally got an appointment with a dermatologist and got a prescription for Proscar. Finally, I got Nizoral and a supply of Kirkland Minoxidil.

At first, I was very depressed, like many of you, to be going bald a such a young age. In fact, a fellow classmate said to me one day, "Do you have thin hair or are you going to be bald really soon?" That was pretty upsetting.

After a while of thinking about things, I've come to terms with it. I am healthy, attending a good college, have good friends, and a good family. What more could I ask for? Besides, the things I love to do, like running, backpacking, fishing, and wrenching, sure don't require hair to do!

I'm probably less attractive with a nice thinning head of hair, it doesn't matter that much right now. I won't be getting married for a while, since I want to finish school first, and by that time, all the treatments will hopefully have done their job.

Hair loss is purely cosmetic, and it's effect on you is mostly based on how YOU decide to react. If you become anti-social and quit going out because you feel ashamed, then it's you're problem. Good friends won't ever bail on you because you look like you are aging faster than them.

Anyway, I just thought I share this bit of perspective that I've gained.

Here's the pic. In a few months or so, we'll see how the treatments have worked!

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum. You have a terrific attitude which will take you a long way in life. I think you’re going about things the right way and please keep us posted on your progress. Thank you for sharing your uplifting point of view.

Thanks! I'll report back in a few months!