+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 73 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RichardDawkins View Post
    Ok guys then lets just agree that we dont agree.

I think my bubble of optimism is very cosy and comfortable :-) You just have to look at one thing, what makes hairloss dicktits? Right when it affects our psyche.

And i wont let that happen because those kind of things wont go away easy, even when you have your hair back in the near future, just simple as that.

Iam optimistic for several reasons

1) Autocloning works on a small scale so with improvement this can be made even more succesfull

2) Even Dr Coles really hardcore "bashing" has gone to moderate

3) People begin to understand the real problems of hairloss or what causes it its not the same old "Grab Minox and you can enjoy it" story anymore

4) They even created artificial hairfollicles a somehow "new" thing

5) Histogen created cosmetically significant regrow (permanent after one year) and yes i believe their words and only their words, iam stupid right :-)

^^
    Who is talking about Histogen here? I am referring to the use of Acell, not Histogen's work which is totally separate to this discussion

Autocloning works on a small scale? - Fair enough, so does Emu Oil n' Saw Palmetto; my point is that there is nothing to get excited about until you can match/better the likes of Propecia/Minoxidil otherwise they wont even market this technique. Nobody here can show me results, and your assumption that the results will suddenly start flying across these boards in some kind of wild frenzy due to the introduction of a better plucking "technique" is at least - a very very long shot, given what we have seen so far.

The basis of the current results rests on the efficacy of the the actual compound, not the plucking technique, I am here to see if ACELL grows hair, and so far, I have seen nothing convincing, that is literally as simple as it gets. Histogen is a totally different story, I am one of the most negative people when it comes to hair loss promises, but Histogen is probably the only company I can honestly say I hold genuine promise/excitement for.

The fact is, the "cure for hair-loss" has been "five or ten years away" for at least as long as I can remember — it was the general feeling in the air certainly as far back as the 1990s. Every now and then, someone has successfully cloned something in vitro, or grown a hair on the back of a mouse, and The Balding have gotten their hopes up that the answer has been unearthed and that it's now only a matter of time before clinical trials are completed and the F.D.A. approves this marvelous new therapy to safely, effectively, and permanently reverse androgenic alopecia. The thing is, clinical trials are what determine the safety and efficacy of a drug, and all the preemptive rejoicing of people around the prospect of something just makes them bitter when, year after year, "promising" old studies are never again heard from, and new ones crop up that sound very much like those forgotten.

Early in 2011, we're all very excited about Histogen and Aderans (some of us, maybe about Trichoscience, as well). Truthfully, Histogen's H.S.C. has completed stage 1 trials — most drugs that pass stage 1 testing go on to fail by stage 3. Optimism is nice, but hopes that scrape the heavens are likely to shatter to shit if they fall. Given the track-record this field of study has, let's at least practice very, very cautious optimism. As for Aderans and Trichoscience, they're simply companies that are trying to accomplish what many others already have tried, and failed, to; I don't believe there's any more reason to be excited about them than one would be upon hearing, "People would like to cure baldness."

Finally, regarding ACell, I'm hopeful, yes, that it might give some credence to the notion of "autocloning" (which, of course, is not a "cure" for balding, but could greatly facilitate its current surgical treatment of transplantation), but Dr. Cooley's images have hardly knocked me off my ass. With many of them, if I hadn't read the caption, I'd've never guessed I should feel ACell effected a positive outcome (and, sorry, "images don't do it justice; you have to see it, in person" is not encouraging). Further, his work, to date (March, 2011), has given us no meaningful numbers. How many F.U.E. extractions were made (with transection), and how many grew back, without use of ACell? How many did, with ACell? How many plucked hairs grew in the recipient area, without ACell? With ACell? How many plucked hairs regrew in the donor region, without Acell? With? Ultimately, I'm unsure how much sense it makes to be euphoric about this product based on uncertain images and no useful quantitative data. Now, don't get me wrong: I'll be thrilled if it work out — I just don't believe it's very sensible for us all to just yet hold our breaths, once more...

Inactive

You see three different opinions and thats a good thing, i like it. I give it the benefit of believing because with a little bit more effort this can become somthing very good.

To me, everything involving more hair (except an transplant) is a cure.

Of course in the 90s those rumors like 10 years from now, were preset but i bet that those "cures" were real sci fi stuff and right now a lot of different research companys come up with plausible stuff which to me is believable.

You know what do i loose when iam optimistic and there wont be a cure (highly unlikely)?

- I didnt loose anything at all because in th end i can get a hairtransplant if it comes to this, but i didnt waste any time with depressions

But what did i loose when iam optimistic and there is a cure (very likely)?

- yes i gained double time

--------------------------

If iam pessimistic and no cure?

- Lost precious time to live and no cure

Pessimistic and cure? Depressions will still remain even with a cure around

----------------------

So thats just me and if you dont like it then its your problem ;-) i dont try to convice you guys to be optimistic.

Yes Dr Hitzig should blew out more well documented pictures but on the other hand its good that someone tries something to help hairloss sufferers.

So i stick with the stupid little thing called "Hope" and remain happy

Quote Originally Posted by HairTalk View Post
    ...Optimism is nice, but hopes that scrape the heavens are likely to shatter to shit if they fall. ..
    LOL exactly, Histogen is the only process ive ever held confidence about, and even that is only in Phase I Asian c/t -

The best news in a long while for me was the existence of the stem cells in bald scalps - and that they were still producing microscopic hairs, I think optimism is nice aswel, and does hold some value, no matter how negative I am about the whole baldness research field I have this inert feeling deep within that we will reach the finish line 'someday', but at a guess I would say we are well over a decade off.

However in defence of Histogen, the issue of the WNT7A and its induction of follicular neogenesis has been in the literature for well over a decade, w/ proven efficacy in animal models.

Inactive

around 100 new hairs on 2 square centimeters of scalp with only the histogen test injection......if people consider this bad well i advise you to see a shrink immediately.

I dont know if you guys read the story about thie PVt guy who had i belive plucked hairs injected in his scar and he said almost all of them grow and so far it looked good. And this guy is someone who is really one pessimistic and drastic son of a bitch ( in a good way, this is meant respectful by me)

It is highly likely that a cure will come in the near future, yes stem cells are present in your scalp and this is a hope bringer, if you can manipulate or kickstart them, your worrys are finally over for good.

I wasnt around during the 90s but i think most of the cure talk was utter bullcrap even compared to those 90s standards.

Btw Tricho is not gone for good they recruited some people for their studies, some user here posted a link. Strangely it seems that they are playing the under the radar thing.

around 100 new hairs on 2 square centimeters of scalp with only the histogen test injection......if people consider this bad well i advise you to see a shrink immediately..
    But it doesn't matter how effective the treatment is, trials do not always fail on the basis of the compound being ineffective lol.

I am not bothered at all about the effectiveness of HSC, I know it works.

Hairtalk is spot on - you have to ask yourself why companies are not pouring investment into Histogen, why isnt this company on the news? Shouldn't their phase I have been worldwide coverage?

become somthing very good.

To me, everything involving more hair (except an transplant) is a cure.

Of course in the 90s those rumors like 10 years from now, were preset but i bet that those "cures" were real sci fi stuff and right now a lot of different research companys come up with plausible stuff which to me is believable.

You know what do i loose when iam optimistic and there wont be a cure (highly unlikely)?

- I didnt loose anything at all because in th end i can get a hairtransplant if it comes to this, but i didnt waste any time with depressions

But what did i loose when iam optimistic and there is a cure (very likely)?

- yes i gained double time

--------------------------

If iam pessimistic and no cure?

- Lost precious time to live and no cure

Pessimistic and cure? Depressions will still remain even with a cure around

----------------------
    Self-proclamations always are of "optimism" or "realism"; I doub't anyone ever will challenge your sentiment by boasting he's a "pround pessimist." The point is not whether you should be hopeful, but that there simply is not, as yet, compelling evidence that "the cure is around the corner." What basis have you for claiming the "high likelihood" one will be found? What supports such a probability: the fact that "people are working on it"? I, too, hope it happens, but it's unfounded to suggest the statistical probability it will.

By the way, you say, "To me, everything involving more hair (except an transplant) is a cure"; you must realize, even if ACell pans out, it will, indeed, be a transplant-dependent accomplishment.

One thing about Histogen's H.S.C.: as I said, I feel this prospect could be fruitful, but, I'd much like to see before–after shots of H.S.C. treatment of a bald area. Show me a few square inches of bare scalp, then that same area with even a dozen hairs (not "vellus hairs") growing out of it — without transplantation — and I promise you I'll get excited — .

@HairTalk - do you not believe there is a 'slightly elevated' chance that being as though BOTH Histogen and Aderans are actually entering Phase II trials now, that we 'may' see a 'better treatment' in the near future?

I am not talking about a cure (NW7 - NW1) I am referring to a better treatment, it has been noted that the vast array of compounds that fall within the c47% failure rate amongst those that have already passed phase I are not usually biotech procedures/compounds but more commonly, traditional chemical based medicines.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    But it doesn't matter how effective the treatment is, trials do not always fail on the basis of the compound being ineffective lol.

I am not bothered at all about the effectiveness of HSC, I know it works.

Hairtalk is spot on - you have to ask yourself why companies are not pouring investment into Histogen, why isnt this company on the news? Shouldn't their phase I have been worldwide coverage?
    You see thats my point, some things are just plausible if you think about them, and thats my driving engine here :-)

Companys will pour their money in, when the successfully leave the first phase thats for sure.

But the problem is, hairloss is only interesting to a small scale of people you know and its not considered life threatening and thats our only "problem" here.

But i say in all honesty and with deep respect, "Dr Hitzig please provide more pictures, it doesnt matter if the results are not bombastic, because improvement is everything :-)"

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    @HairTalk - do you not believe there is a 'slightly elevated' chance that being as though BOTH Histogen and Aderans are actually entering Phase II trials now, that we 'may' see a 'better treatment' in the near future?

I am not talking about a cure (NW7 - NW1) I am referring to a better treatment, it has been noted that the vast array of compounds that fall within the c47% failure rate amongst those that have already passed phase I are not usually biotech procedures/compounds but more commonly, traditional chemical based medicines.
    I feel — if it doesn't turn out to promote neoplasia or something (I don't think it will, and I hope it won't) — H.S.C. could be used alongside hair-transplantation and finasteride (or instead of finasteride, for those reluctant or unable to use it) to ward off further hairloss. To whether the effects of H.S.C. will be permanent, I can't say (and I don't believe anyone yet can); to its efficacy and patient-factors that may influence this, I also cannot say.