+ Reply to Thread

Default Second procedure dilemma

Close to two years since my first procedure of 1800 grafts. Results have been poor at best and surgeon has agreed to redo 1200 grafts at no charge.
    The initial procedure was done with the local Bosley office. I chose Bosley based on the results of two colleagues who had very good results with the same surgeon.
    The surgeon has since retired and I recently met with the Dr. who now works in the office. He appears to have a decent resume but I could not find much information on him. The Boston office at the time had received better reviews than some of their other locations.
    I am struggling with the decision to give it another attempt at Bolsey or go with another surgeon affiliated with IAHRS. If I don't go back to Bosley I am out the 1200 grafts.
    Would appreciate any input from other members or if anyone has any thoughts on using the Bosley Boston office.

i'd go with an iahrs doc. you only have so much donor and if i were you i wouldn't want to risk another failed procedure. i would also try to get bosley to cover some of the cost (if not all) of the second procedure. all they can do is say no.

I have to agree with mkamph- there is much more at stake than the free 1200 grafts. I'm sure there are some great Bosley doctors out there but if you cannot find much information or any results from the one you are considering, you should definitely go elsewhere.

For cosmetic surgery you should determine who the best in the world is, then go there. You are going to alter the way you look, the person you see in the mirror and the person who has to face the world including family and friends. It is serious business and not something to take lightly. A bad decision could easily destroy your life.

As far as the 1200 grafts are concerned. If we were to put a dollar figure on it, let’s guess $5000. Basically this is what we are talking about, it’s a money issue not really a graft issue. If you had a friend that went for back surgery and came out of it paralyzed and that same surgeon offered a free back surgery of equal value which you really needed would you consider it. Or would you forego the free procedure and choose the best back surgeon in the world. The same answer should apply to the 1200 grafts.

As far as the resume is concerned in my view it is of limited importance. Plenty of surgeons out there are members of various associations, won various awards, have published articles and books, invented this or that, but it all comes down to the quality of the work and how you were treated as a patient.

Take your time and do plenty of research.