+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how short with strip?

Im considering strip vs FUE for the higher yield..im 44. Im hoping to be a grey haired old man later in life.

How short can you cut your hair with strip and not notice the scar? I am afraid of that scar.

ie..looks like ed norton had work..he was thinning and now his hair is thick.. if he had a strip procedure, I'm guessing he couldnt cut it like he did in american history X anymore:

http://blogs.smarter.com/beauty/2008...e-hit-or-miss/

any links to examples would help too..

See the Section " introduce yourself ...."
    Someoine posted pics of a military haircut with a strip procedure It looks VERY good

thanks dave
    site is ridiculously slow today (im on a T1 line) but i was able to see a few pics without throwing my mac out the window in frustration

looks great..i probably would not even go that short but close..i guess the fear i have as most guys do..if my hairloss progresses dramatically and the sides and back thin like on a lot of older men.. will the scar show then..

hopefully ill have my own island in the pacific and wont care.

Have you considered FUE? If you don't require too many grafts, this is the way to go IMHO. Gives you many more hair style options for the future. You know, as a silver haired old man you may want to cut extremely short because it looks less like balding when it is short - more dignified than a messy Cesar look. Think long and hard before you let even a super skilled surgeon cut you from ear to ear. everyone heals differently, so it's a bit of a crap shoot.

I agree with Carzar555- the way strip scars heal varies from person to person and can be very unpredictable at best. The only way to know you will not have a thick scar across the back of your head for the rest of your life is to have a FUE procedure from the beginning.

FUE is no longer reserved to small cases. With his automated extractor, Dr. Cole can remove over 2000 grafts an hour, with a transection rate below 3.4%. There is no difference in yield between FUE and strip and, if anything, FUE gives you more potential total area to harvest from.

thanks CIT girl.

I've done a years worth of research, I have to say though, Im hearing that this isn't true. That yields are not the same. From both Dr Rahal and Dr Feller. Im in for about 3000 to 3500 grafts so its incredibly important to me to get the most yield form the procedure.

why the discrepancy?

I think the discrepancy might be due to varying levels of expertise with FUE. Dr. Cole has performed far more FUE procedures in the U.S. than any other doctor, and these procedures have been 90-100% of his practice since 2003. He has always viewed it as a stand-alone technique for all patients, superior to any other method out there. Many doctors have dabbled in FUE but aren't fully committed to mastering the technique and they therefore view it as limiting in certain ways. Dr. Cole wouldn't perform FUE exclusively if he didn't fully believe in the technique and the superior cosmetic outcomes it provides for patients (particularity because FUE is more time-consuming, painstaking work for the doctor).

Spencer actually posted a video a few months ago of Dr. Cole refuting many of the myths associated with FUE:http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2748

However, if you do not mind a linear scar (and many men don't), strip is less expensive and Dr. Feller and Dr. Rahal are certainly two of the best FUT surgeons out there.

There are still without a doubt the best yields in strip and it is still without a doubt attributable to the varying degrees of expertise and competence in FUE. In the years to come, hopefully the level of expertise will broaden in FUE across the board along with continued improvements in the instumentation.

Most patients and I am referring to men in general terms, will need in excess of 4,000 grafts over their lifetimes. A fair number of them will experience donor area thinning to some degree in their 50's plus. Whether you have strip or FUE, a fair amount of work will be required over one's lifetime for most men. The level or degree of "visible scarring" strip or FUE will vary but obviously the more work one will need, the more scarring there will be.

We all must understand that the trade-off with surgical hair restoration is the inability to wear our hair that short as we did when we buzzed.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thickhead, from reading your concerns, it seems to me that you should not get a strip procedure. I had a strip procedure done and now I cannot cut my hair short. If I cut it short, there is a visible line across the back of my head.

My advice to you would be to skip the hair transplant altogether. I wish that I had never done it. However, if you are dead-set on surgery and really want to buzz it short later in life, then get FUE over strip.

THickhead, in term of strip over FUE, i have been spending lot if time researching and its obvious that the FUE technology is not mature enough yet to compete with the strip.

There are just as many scar related complaints for FUE as there are success stories, plus there are numerous undisputed deficiencies compared to the strip. So the most efficient and stable method of transplanting at the moment, for large areas, is still the strip method and its why i chose to do it.