+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 and maybe balding

Well I don't really know where to start, I had a mature hairline by 14, and my maternal grandfather went bald early (I'm not sure if he was as old as me or a little older) Lately I think my hairline is moving back moreso, and I'm really in the process of trying to figure out if I'm losing more hair, and if I am, what my options are. Really I wanted to ask a couple of questions:

How strong is the correlation between an early mature hairline and MPB?

Would rogaine make a good preventative measure?

Hey Sup, sup?

I'm not a doctor but I have had a wealth of personal experience in this area. Everyone in my family is bald and when i reached about 21 - 22 years old i started thinning.

I cant tell you the direct correlation between early thinning and MPB. But as with most things, if you dont treat the cause of a problem and let the problem continue, it will probably continue to cause problems.... i hope that makes sense im confusing myself now...

in other words if you want to keep your hair we need to see if we can find the problem.

there is no 100% proven way to treat hair loss yet, although there are some things which are proven to help. im 25 now and not only do i not have ANY hair loss problems but i'ts thicker and healthier than ever before. And get this, everyone in my family is bald.

i treated myself through health and nutrition - possibly the most underrated form of treatment out there. I cant help much with other treatments but i can help you using my personal experience. if you're interested. if you're not interested, then don't worry about the questions below:

how many people in your family are bald?
    what age did they start losing their hair?
    do they have mercury fillings and did they get them put in before they started losing hair?
    do you have mercury fillings?
    do you use skin products or anything containing mercury?
    how is your diet?
    do you eat enough fruits and veges prefferably raw?
    do you work out?
    are you on suppliments?
    are you on drugs?
    do you take soy in any of its forms?
    how is your overall health?
    are you overweight?
    How long is your hair? Often when hair gets long it can start to look thinner or start to look like its receding. cut your hair fairly short to get a more accurate look.

Thanks for the reply, yes, it would be a good idea to try remove as many possible causes as I can, in conjunction with determining whether I'm balding or not. As I said I'm fairly sure I'll start to go in a few years, and I feel lucky I've been aware of it all and have found a great place for help.

how many people in your family are bald?

My father has a better hairline than me, haha, It's just my maternal grandfather. I have no brothers, although I have a couple of older cousins with the same grandfather and they are early 20's, and they aren't bald (not sure if they are balding)

The worrying thing is I have the same wavy hair as my grandfather, my father and cousins don't.

Apart from that there are alot of older men on my mother's side that are bald, though i have no clue when it started for any of them.

do they have mercury fillings and did they get them put in before they started losing hair?

no idea

do you have mercury fillings?

no

do you use skin products or anything containing mercury?

no

how is your diet?

Sometimes good, sometimes bad. It's quite a day-to-day kind of thing. Being honest, mostly bad.

do you eat enough fruits and veges prefferably raw?

I'd say mostly no.

do you work out?

No, I was planning on starting soon. Bad idea?

are you on suppliments?

A year or so ago I had one of the multi-vitamin suppliments for a while, should I start on them again?

are you on drugs?

No prescription drugs, alcohol and marijuana very occasionally

do you take soy in any of its forms?

no

how is your overall health?

I'm rarely sick, as I was saying I'd like to work out more and get fitter, but i don't think i'm too unfit.

are you overweight?

no

Ok interesting, you sound a lot like me when i was thinning, in that the only thing that seemed to be in the bad books was my diet, plus i was fairly stressed, however many people in the family are bald not just one.

do you have long hair? do you straighten it? do you pull it back? what kind of products do you use in your hair?

with products, if you are using hair thinning treatments and they are working, then thats ok. otherwise if i were you id stay away from all other shampoos and conditioners. I now use water alone on my hair and thats perfect.

If you're up for it, my vote would be to work on your diet. Thats what I did. Increase your complete nutrient profile. Try increasing the amount of raw fruits and vegies. The proteins, vitamins and minerals found in green leafy vegies are second to none. If you do nothing else, you must atleast increase your intake of raw, steamed or boiled-at very worst, kale and broccoli. kale is harder to find. you need to go to markets to find that usually. Purple and green kale are my favourite. Cavalo Nero is also good but i dont like the taste of that one, personally.

If you eat kale and broccoli as often as possible (eat some every day), you will get a far more useful dose of all vitamins and minerals than what any multi-vitamin supplement can give you.

the other thing you want to get is some vitamin D. you can get some vitamin D from animal products however the best form of vitamin D comes from the sun.

Now, if you can stay away from grains and refined sugars as much as possible. Anything with a high glycemic load stresses the body. Yes we need sugar, but the most perfect place to get sugar is from fresh delicious fruit.
    and please do not substitute artificial zero calorie falvours for sugars, that stuff scares me.

The other thing I would cut down on is too much meat if you can. protein is the hardest thing for the body to breakdown, so you can imagine if you're a big meat eater your body is exhausting itself trying to break it down, break it down, break it down.

In the meantime, I would get a blood test or hair test and find out what is going on in your body and find out what you're deficient in. Use suppliments as a last resort as they do not work as well as the real deal. If you stay away from grains and sugars, eat more raw or steamed leafy greens, and get your body back into good health, your body should start to get over its ailments, possibly even if you have a genetic disposition to going bald. thats what happened in my case

take this one step at a time. ive just thrown a whole heap of info at you. take it easy. i would HIGHLY reccomend getting some raw food recipes. There are cheap books out there which teach you some great things to make. That way you can feel better about taking on a raw food diet or partly raw food diet, plus your family feel better about making raw food dishes.

Check these out:

http://************/KRRecipe

http://************/rfoodr

Or, if you want a full course on it with a meal plan, day by day stuff, then this great:

http://************/RockingBody

Hope this helps!!

dfoz

Alright thanks heaps, I'll work on my diet. Is it true extra circulation to the scalp promotes hair growth?

Today I had my hair cut, the hairdresser commented on how thick it is! Maybe it isn't going yet, but I'm sure it'l be soon if I don't work on my diet and everything (because of my grandfather) I saw a thread from an 18yr old who posted pictures of his hairline. It looked like mine, but a little worse, and the replies all said his hair was starting to go, so I'm not sure.

Hey buuuuudddyy,

im presuming you mean circulation by massaging? it might work. i was told to do that once, and you'll see that in many forums they tell you to consider massaging your scalp. its a possibility but i can guarantee you, if the problem is coming from the inside (diet, toxins, deficiences), no external massaging is going to make a big difference.

one thing i considered doing once is wearing a beanie all day and all night. if you've ever had a cast on your arm you'll know that once you get it removed, the hair there is much thicker. When you cover up a part of your body for extended periods, hair often grows really thick there which is why under arms and pubic hair can get fairly thick. However, once the hair has been exposed for a week or a couple of months it seems to shed itself back to what it was originally.

If you want any help I have written a post on my blog about hair loss. the link is: http://rockmybody.wordpress.com/2010...i-got-it-back/

I will be adding more and more information to it as I find more information. You see, even if you have a pre disposition to losing hair because of genetics, that does not mean you WILL lose hair. you may have a pre disposition to getting diabetes but you WONT get diabetes unless you eat shit. If you eat shit, the first thing to go might be your insulin, because you have a genetic weakness there, therefore you develop diabetes. Eat well, be healthy and you WILL NOT get sick.

And trust me mate, its sexy being healthy. People respect someone who takes charge of their life. I didnt know that at your age. Now i do and its awesome!

All the best my 17 year old friend!

Sorry for the late reply/bump

I've been improving my diet, luckily this is a good time in my life for making changes like this (just finished school, 3 months til uni)

Even if it doesn't help with hair loss, changing my diet for the better couldn't hurt. Just wanted to say thanks again, i'll bump this in a few months or so to say what has happened.

Im really interested in this. why did you ask about soy milk, you think its bad? why cause of the estrogen count? and do you really think hair products such as gels are bad, im mean ive read so much info on it that goes in diff directions really?

any info would be great
    cheers