+ Reply to Thread

Default first post...be nice. quick question

what if my thinning keeps on keeping on after the op? will i have thin hair and bald spots and just a thick mane where my grafts where (crown/temple)? that would look very odd lol...would i then need to address future ops? do the docs give you any meds after the ops to reduce the thinning for the future? are there any doc who will refuse op because they think i am not an acceptable candidate? not based on my donor site but based on my age and level of hair loss??

my hairline is ok but my crown is starting to thin...thats not acceptable lol

All good questions. Hair loss is progressive so unless you are on medication like Propecia, you will most likely progress overtime and need future procedures to replace what you've lost. If you are very young and only have crown thinning, then many doctors will turn you a way, as they should, and tell you to try Propecia for a while to see how things go. You don’t want to rush into having surgery, but if you are a good candidate then it can be a very good thing. Just keep reading this forum and asking questions.

As Winston explained, hair loss is progressive and this is why it is very important to have a long-term plan before undergoing any hair restoration procedure. One of the worst things you can do is deplete your donor supply prematurely by being too aggressive in trying to restore just the front of your scalp, or just the crown.

If you are only thinning in the crown, your best bet is to try Propecia or Rogaine for a year first- these products can help you maintain your existing hair and may limit the need for future hair transplant procedures. In the meantime, you could try concealer products to improve the appearance of density in your crown. Physicians generally do not like to start patients down the hair transplant road if they are very young and only thinning in the crown because this region requires a lot of grafts. You are better off waiting to see if you will experience hair loss in the front of the scalp, where grafting may make a more significant cosmetic impact. You also have to be careful when transplanting hair to a region that is only thinning as there is a potential that you could cause more harm than good to the existing hair.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I agree. All younger patients who have hair loss/thinning only in the crown should at least try Propecia for 1 year before considering hair restoration surgery.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    what if my thinning keeps on keeping on after the op? will i have thin hair and bald spots and just a thick mane where my grafts where (crown/temple)? that would look very odd lol...would i then need to address future ops? do the docs give you any meds after the ops to reduce the thinning for the future? are there any doc who will refuse op because they think i am not an acceptable candidate? not based on my donor site but based on my age and level of hair loss??

my hairline is ok but my crown is starting to thin...thats not acceptable lol
    I'm going to add one more thing to the equation for healthy hair and its by far one of the most important yet overlooked aspects. deficiency and toxicity.

you need to avoid deficiency by taking in all the nutrients your body requires. the best way to do this is by taking in more raw fruits and vegetables, particularily green leafy vegetables like kale, brocolli etc. vitamins and minerals in their real form from plants (not from suppliments) provide the best chances for your body to rid the body of toxins and balance everything out, including hair loss. also make sure you keep hydrated all the time. You can drink water or you can eat juicy fruits like watermelons or both. I love sweet watermelons during the warmer months. They hydrate your body so much better than just drinking water. Also, avoid consuming too much protein. the human race is eating waaaaaaayyyy more protein at the moment than whats nessecary and it is a massive stress on the body. particularly stay away from powdered protein. definitely stay away from soy and refined sugars and artificial sweeteners.

now, you also need to avoid toxicity. mercury for example is a big problem for hair. if you have fillings or are using skin care products containing mercury or anything to do with mercury, STOP. if you have mercury fillings get them out safely. most dentists drill them out and will be adament that drilling them out is fine. this is not true. drilling them out spurts mercury throughout your mouth both as small particles and as fumes. you need to get them out safely, i believe its through a suction method.