+ Reply to Thread

Default 26 Year Old Trying to Cope

I'm 26 years old and first noticed that my crown was a bit thin a few years back while having a haircut when they held up the mirror. Surprised, I gasped, "Am I going bald?" and the hairdresser flippantly replied, "Ummm, I don't know what to say when people ask me that, HEH HEH." Anyway, I ignored and forgot about it. I also didn't get my hair cut there again.

A couple of years later and another haircut and again I saw the crown - still bad - so I finally decided to go in and see someone. They put me on finasteride and minoxidil, and took some photos. I have to tell you, when I saw those photos I felt like I'd been slapped. I had never noticed how thin I actually was. Dare I say, I was blissfully ignorant.

The finasteride / minoxidil gave me some decent improvement, but over time I progressively became more and more obsessed about my hair. I honestly don't think my hair has gotten any worst - I think I simply became more critical and paranoid about it. Most people I ask (and trust) claim that they think my hair looks fine, yet when I look in the mirror I can't help but disagree.

Finally I decided to try the typical last-resort option - I shaved it to a number 1. And I hated it. It made my thinness far more obvious, and this didn't help as I was already feeling a bit sad about the whole ordeal.

Pretty much none of my other friends are balding and even most of my colleagues who are older than me have full heads of hair. Sometimes I can't help but stare jealously. I know it's actually very common. I know I need to not let it bring me down. Yet, I feel as though I'm struggling to cope. It's so easy to dismiss all my strong points and focus - increasingly - on my thinning hair.

I guess what I'm looking for here is advice. Advice on how to cope, maybe ideas for getting my hair cut. Even though I know it shouldn't, this has become an unhealthy obsession for me.

Welcome to the forum Stiker. We’re all in the same boat and learning to cope is not easy for many of us, but it is very possible. I suggest you listen to Spencer Kobren’s radio show on Tuesdays and Sundays www.thebaldtruth.com. It gives a lot of us here an emotional outlet to talk about this and it’s a lot of fun to listen to. Since you’re not getting any worse now that you are on meds you should consider yourself ahead of the game.