+ Reply to Thread

Default My 2000 FUE with Dr Ball, Maitland Clinic. April 2021

Hi, i'm James. I've been studying my hair loss and reading the forums for many years.

Next week i am having my FUE with Dr Ball and i wanted to document and share my experience with others as I've found other peoples blogs so helpful in making my own decision.

10 years of hair loss
    I am 34 years old. I started to notice my hair falling out when i was 24.
    I remember sitting at my desk at work and noticing large numbers of hairs on my desk, i didn't think anything of it at these early stages as it was not noticeable to look at.

At 25 it was becoming noticeable to me in the frontal area, starting to recede.
    I researched this and started Regain foam twice a day. I have been sticking to that routine since, with only a short gap of a few months when my son was born 3 years ago and i lost interest in my hair for a while.

Over the past 10 years i have stuck with the Regain foam and 8 years ago introduced Nizoral (2% Ketoconazole) as my main shampoo.

My hair loss has been slow but i have not been happy with my hair for some years now. Always conscious of it and finding it very hard to cut and style to anything i am happy with.

I decided taking medication was not for me so that was a part of the discussions i would have with Dr's on what a safe and appropriate hair transplant would be for me long term.

I have been aware of hair transplants for many years, Elon Musk is claimed to have had surgery and i follow his work a lot and he acts as a reminder to me of what is possible.

My hair transplant journey begins
    18 months ago i spoke to Dr Lupanzula (Belgium) when he offered a free consultation in London. The discussion and conclusion was promising and i decided a hair transplant was a) Suitable for me and my condition, b) Something i could afford and could not live without.

Fast forward and meeting with David Anderson and Dr Ball on the 25th January 2021, i immediately put my deposit down and 3 months later i am just a week away from my FUE.

The Maitland Clinic
    I had my video consultation with David, he has a great personality, genuine, honest, not at all trying to sell you the procedure and he's been through it all himself. He's also worked in this industry a very long time and is well known. We agreed on a proposal to discuss face-to-face with Dr Ball.

The clinic is in a very nice building in Portsmouth. The clinic staff were welcoming and i felt very relaxed meeting here. It's also just 90 minutes from my home which is a bonus.
    I first spoke with David and then Dr Ball joined us. I immediately liked Dr Ball, confident and honest and again no sales pitch. What i liked most was his long term approach to the surgery, not drawing a hairline that i would not age well into or require further surgery to look natural. I actually want a receded hairline, i just don't want to be bald on top! And without saying this, Dr Ball drew his proposed hairline and i immediately liked it. It was that moment i knew he was the surgeon for me.

We agreed approx 2000 grafts for the frontal/mid area i want to address. Leaving plenty for any future work should i want/need it.

The crown i am not worried about, day to day i never think about it, in fact its only when i see myself in photos, which always make hair loss look much worse in my experience!, that i really worry about it.

My Diary
    I am going to keep a video diary of my progress as i think it will give a better representation over just photos. Pre-op link to follow shortly.

I look forward to updating everyone as my journey progresses!

Here are my starting photos! (Does anyone know how to rotate the photos please?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-25 11.59.23.jpg

Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	70422Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-27 13.55.52.jpg

Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	70423Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-27 13.55.36.jpg

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	70424

Night before! Dr Ball spent a great deal of time and attention on the hair design, very impressed.

https://youtu.be/00fTu8P6NT0

Quick update on the surgery day yesterday!

The day was really chilled and the time flew by. A long day for the staff, they took so much care and attention i cannot thank them enough for the work they have performed, what an amazing team.

I could not get over the immediate result looking in the mirror! I am so happy with the results!!

I left the hotel this morning with no dressing needed, no swelling, no pain. I have not needed to take any pain relief since yesterday.
    The donor area looked worse this morning than when i left the clinic last night, but there is no pain at all!. The blood spots on the donor area just look worse and would wipe off but i've left them to heal.
    Dr Ball is sending my photos over shorty that i will share.

Dr Ball did so much of the work himself, i could hear him selecting different size punches to suit each graft and he was working so fluently with his team of 4 or 5 in the room with us.

They double and triple checked all of the inserted grafts, constantly communicating if they wanted a stronger or thinner graft and how many hairs as they inserted them, i think we had a team of 5 in the room for most of the insertions and they took 5 hours using different tools to suit the size of graft! So much attention to detail, i feel very confident i had the best team i could have ever asked for.

Final count:
    2076 Grafts, 4076 Hairs.

516 - Singles, 1120 - Doubles, 440 - 3's & 4's

Here is a video leaving the hotel this morning.

https://youtu.be/mlWXGCfVsN8

Day 2 Video Diary.

https://youtu.be/4OTks_8mLT8

Day 7 video diary now up!

Its going so well, it has exceeded my expectations on how well the recovery has been and the attention to detail Dr Ball has clearly made.

https://youtu.be/-34aLrW_EPA

Week 2 (day 16) update!

It's really been no fuss at all.
    New hair started shedding last few days.
    Have some numbness on top and dry skin this week.
    New hairs appeared to be getting quite a bit longer, think it is the shedding process as they are pushed out!

Really looking forward to the re-growth phase in a few months.

https://youtu.be/hyDNGf5Btv0

2.5 month update.

https://youtu.be/EdjpQxFR1os

4 Month update.

Huge progress in last few weeks. See for yourself.

Donor area is as before, impossible to detect anything has been done!

Looking forward to next few months!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Progress 4m.jpg

Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	71213

https://youtu.be/RWI1D3WAhYM