Propecia and Decreased Libido in Women??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasa
    • Dec 2008

Propecia and Decreased Libido in Women??

Hi girls, I am a 38 year old woman with mild androgenetic alopecia. I have been using minoxidil with acceptable results for the past 7 years, and Propecia for the last one year.

In the past few months, I have noticed a decrease in my sexual desire. We all know about the effect of Propecia on men, but I never read anywhere that finasteride did that to women too. Has any other woman experienced decreased libido with use of finasteride?

Hair or sex - that is the question
  • WomensHairLossProject
    • Oct 2008

Humm well I'm guessing it probably can have the same effect on women as well, though I don't really have a definitive answer to that question. I do however, have an answer for your last question...

Hair or Sex? Hair!!!

Ask a man and he'll surely give you a different response.
    I am not a doctor. I am just another 34 year old girl who has been dealing with hair loss for 13 years. Everything I say is only my opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

• Wanda
      • Jan 2009

HAIR!!!!! I think I could live without sex, but not without my hair . . . I think it is interesting that doctors are now prescribing Propecia for women. Did you have to have hormone tests first?

Comment

• Yasa
        • Dec 2008

My endo prescribed the Propecia and I was visting him with a full hormone test for my PCOS anyway... it appears that prescribing Propecia for women is not such a big deal (apart from the getting pregnant part).

Comment

• davesolazzo
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Wanda
          HAIR!!!!! I think I could live without sex, but not without my hair . . .
          i've been living without sex for a while now

Comment

• TeeJay73
            • Oct 2008

Yeah, me too. And it's not because of my Propecia. My game needs a little work. Okay, maybe alot.

Comment

• GretchenT
              • Jan 2010

Rather have hair definitely. a good hormone doc could prescribe a little testosterone cream though to help out.

Comment

• saniaa83
                • Feb 2011

Women who are or may potentially be pregnant must not use PROPECIA and should not handle crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets because the active ingredient may cause abnormalities of a male baby’s sex organs. If a woman who is pregnant comes into contact with the active ingredient in PROPECIA, a doctor should be consulted.
                PROPECIA tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets are not broken or crushed.

Comment

Working...