+ Reply to Thread

Cool Where do i begin?

Hello Guys

I am 29 years old guy with receding\ thinning hair...
    I was referred by www.americanhairloss.org to this great forum!

I just want to know where to begin with regards to regrowing my hair.
    As far as i can tell i am grade 2 on Norwood scale but i have thinning hair at top of my head - no bald patch, yet ....

I am becoming more and more conscience about it and i have no clue what to do...

Not sure whether to go for medication or sugery! ...

Any advise \ recommendations are welcome!

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by goingbald View Post
    Hello Guys

I am 29 years old guy with receding\ thinning hair...
    I was referred by www.americanhairloss.org to this great forum!

I just want to know where to begin with regards to regrowing my hair.
    As far as i can tell i am grade 2 on Norwood scale but i have thinning hair at top of my head - no bald patch, yet ....

I am becoming more and more conscience about it and i have no clue what to do...

Not sure whether to go for medication or sugery! ...

Any advise \ recommendations are welcome!

Thanks
    Hey Goginbald,
    Welcome. I’m glad you found the new forum! It sounds like you’re are in a great position to maintain and possibly improve the quality of the hair that you have by starting FDA approved medical treatment. The key to successful treatment is always early intervention. So my advice would be to see a physician as soon as possible. Your doctor can prescribe Propecia which can slow or stop the further progression of your hair loss. If you are only a Nll, surgery should not even be considered at this point. Give the medical treatment a least a year to asses your results. Many men in your position will begin medical treatment and realize that simply stopping the progression of their hair loss, and gaining some improvement in the quality of their existing hair is all that they need.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerKobren View Post
    Hey Goginbald,
    Welcome. I’m glad you found the new forum! It sounds like you’re are in a great position to maintain and possibly improve the quality of the hair that you have by starting FDA approved medical treatment. The key to successful treatment is always early intervention. So my advice would be to see a physician as soon as possible. Your doctor can prescribe Propecia which can slow or stop the further progression of your hair loss. If you are only a Nll, surgery should not even be considered at this point. Give the medical treatment a least a year to asses your results. Many men in your position will begin medical treatment and realize that simply stopping the progression of their hair loss, and gaining some improvement in the quality of their existing hair is all that they need.
    Many thanks for your reply SpencerKobren.

Are there any side effects of using medical treatments like Propecia etc...?

Spencer,

I don't mean to answer this question for you, but if I may ... (I just feel passionate about this question because I think the issue of Propecia side effects has been so oversensationalized).

Goingbald, I've been on Propecia for just shy of one year, and I have realized no side effects. None. I have also been listening to Spencer's radio show for some time now, and I have heard him state that he has been taking finasteride (aka, Propecia) for 15 or so years, without any side effects. And I know his co-host, Dave, has been taking Propecia for 7+ years, without any side effects.

From my own research, consulting with doctors, and the like, I understand any side effects from Propecia occur in only a very small percentage of men ... SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than the percentage of men that it actually helps (90%+). I can't imagine that any doctor, especially IAHRS doctors, would prescribe Propecia to you if they knew it would cause harmful or detrimental side effects. And, if you are one of the rare cases that experiences side effects, such as a decreased sex drive or whatever, then by stopping the drug, all of the side effects, as I understand it, would be totally reversed.

In my opinion, the Propecia side effects issue has been very over-sensationalized, when in fact the drug is the first true miracle to those of us dealing with hair loss.

TeeJay

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Spencer,

I don't mean to answer this question for you, but if I may ... (I just feel passionate about this question because I think the issue of Propecia side effects has been so oversensationalized).

Goingbald, I've been on Propecia for just shy of one year, and I have realized no side effects. None. I have also been listening to Spencer's radio show for some time now, and I have heard him state that he has been taking finasteride (aka, Propecia) for 15 or so years, without any side effects. And I know his co-host, Dave, has been taking Propecia for 7+ years, without any side effects.

From my own research, consulting with doctors, and the like, I understand any side effects from Propecia occur in only a very small percentage of men ... SUBSTANTIALLY smaller than the percentage of men that it actually helps (90%+). I can't imagine that any doctor, especially IAHRS doctors, would prescribe Propecia to you if they knew it would cause harmful or detrimental side effects. And, if you are one of the rare cases that experiences side effects, such as a decreased sex drive or whatever, then by stopping the drug, all of the side effects, as I understand it, would be totally reversed.

In my opinion, the Propecia side effects issue has been very over-sensationalized, when in fact the drug is the first true miracle to those of us dealing with hair loss.

TeeJay
    By all means carry on my man. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    Spencer Kobren
    Founder, American Hair Loss Association
    Host, The Bald Truth Radio Show

I am not a physician. My opinions and knowledge concerning hair loss and its treatment are based on extensive research and reporting on the subject as a consumer advocate and hair loss educator. My views and comments on the subject should not be taken as medical advice. Always seek the advice of a medical professional when considering medical and surgical treatment.

Smile Propecia

I agree. I have been on Propecia over 10+ years and it does have some very minor side effects for me. They are not bothersome or major. One thing to be aware of is stated below (source WebMD):

Quote:

The study found that Propecia cuts PSA levels in half after one year of use. While there is no PSA threshold below which cancer risk is completely eliminated, or above which cancer is a certainty, the conventional normal range is between 0 and 4.0.

However, for men on Propecia, a PSA level of 2.0 could indicate prostate cancer risk.

"If you've been on Propecia for a year, you should double the PSA score," D'Amico said.

"If you are on Propecia for more than a year, don't multiply the score; look at the change in PSA over time. If it goes up by more than three-tenths of a point, consider a biopsy," he said.

The danger is that men may get Propecia from one doctor and PSA tests from another, says urologist Yair Lotan, MD, of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

"So if your internist doesn't know you're being treated for male pattern baldness, and your PSA is 2.5, they may assume you are normal -- but you really need to double that [score] and see a urologist," Lotan told WebMD.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay73 View Post
    Spencer,

TeeJay
    Thank you all for your responses...
    At least i now know where to start, rather than jumping in and trying different products that do more harm than good.

I will be seeing my doctor very soon !!!

Thanks Guys...