+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Considering HT in MN or beyond...

Hello all,

I'm currently considering HT and would like some help. My first concern is that I choose the right doctor. I've started to do some research and it's very difficult to wade through all the websites. But, it seems as if everything points to IAHRS as being the best reference. Is this a safe assumption?

That being said, I live in MN and am looking at both the Shapiro Medical Group and Reese Hair Restoration as they are the two listed on the site. I would love opinions on either of them, but, I would be willing to travel if that would give me the best result possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest concern is getting the best, most natural result. Although, the thing that makes me the most anxious is the scar. As I wear my hair fairly short I need to know that my doctor is the best at making a scar very difficult to find.

To be honest, I was almost completely sold on a procedure until I saw a guy at the gym the other day and I could see a scar that ran ear to ear! If there's no way around that I think I would rather deal with the thinning...

Again, all your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Are you familiar with the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) procedure?

As I understand it, the primary advantage of FUE over conventional (strip) hair transplants is that with the FUE procedure there is no linear scar, so that patients will have the option of wearing their hair short after surgery. It's also less invasive so patients tend to have faster healing times post-surgery. The disadvantage is that more grafts are damaged during harvesting, resulting in lower yields than strip surgery. Also, it is a newer procedure, so it can be more difficult to find experienced surgeons with good track records.

I've read a lot about it, and I think it may be good option for men who are low on the NW scale and do not expect to have significant future hair loss. If you need significant coverage, you are still probably better off with conventional strip surgery. Anyway, it may be something to explore if you are worried about having a noticeable scar.

MN,
    You have one of the leading clinics in your back yard. SMG.

Consulting with them initially will give you a head start on your requirements.
    spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

wow your so lucky dude.....i travelled over 4000 miles to visit smg, you really got to consult with them imo
    all opinions expressed are my own based solely on my own experiences and knowledge, i do not work for any clinic/doctor. 2 bad UK ht's and 1 world class ht with SMG.
    my blog www.hairlosstips.co.uk

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Having worked with Dr. Ron Shapiro for several years I know he performs hair restoration procedures with extreme accuracy and precision. When the time comes and I need a transplant that is probably where I will go. However, I also know that Dr. Bob Reese also is a very talented surgeon and gets really impressive results. You are lucky to have to great hair restoration surgeons in your neiborhood. Can't go wrong either way.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

I'm not familiar with Reese Hair Restoration but I know Dr. Shapiro performs some FUE. If you are very anxious about the scar strip surgery will leave you with, this is certainly an option you should consider. In the hands of a skilled doctor, the transection rate and yield should not be any different for FUE versus strip surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by MN New Guy View Post
    Hello all,

I'm currently considering HT and would like some help. My first concern is that I choose the right doctor. I've started to do some research and it's very difficult to wade through all the websites. But, it seems as if everything points to IAHRS as being the best reference. Is this a safe assumption?

That being said, I live in MN and am looking at both the Shapiro Medical Group and Reese Hair Restoration as they are the two listed on the site. I would love opinions on either of them, but, I would be willing to travel if that would give me the best result possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest concern is getting the best, most natural result. Although, the thing that makes me the most anxious is the scar. As I wear my hair fairly short I need to know that my doctor is the best at making a scar very difficult to find.

To be honest, I was almost completely sold on a procedure until I saw a guy at the gym the other day and I could see a scar that ran ear to ear! If there's no way around that I think I would rather deal with the thinning...

Im also interested in SMG. I like the work that I see coming from this clinic. I live in Florida, am Im not to impressed with the "larger name" Drs. here, especially in Miami, and Orlando.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

There are a few very good clinics between Orlando and Miami. Like in Boca Raton for example. Just Kidding. SMG really does exceptional work.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

So, who did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by MN New Guy View Post
    Hello all,

Quote Originally Posted by Tired_of_the_BS View Post
    So, who did you go with?
    Im a little apprehensive about the procedure. I saw a guy in my gym the other day, he clearly had an fue procedure. It was horrible looking. Im very concerned with the fue donor area, as I wear my hair on a number 1 fade. Im just really nervous at how natural my results would look. "Is it worse to recede a little bit, or have fake looking hair"?????