+ Reply to Thread

Default Completely obsessed - is this normal and will it get better?

So for two months, since noticing my hair loss, I am thinking about it constantly. It's the first thing I think of when I wake up, and get that sick feeling when I look in the mirror in the morning. I alternate between checking it in the mirror obsessively throughout the day and avoiding the mirror so I don't get stuck there making myself feel worse.

So far I haven't done anything as far as treatment, and I'm hoping that once I see my doctor I will have some relief that at least I'm doing SOMEthing. I'm thinking of trying propecia and I know it will take months to see any difference. Cost is an issue which is why I haven't done it yet. I have a tendency to overreact about health issues in general; I'm definitely a hypochondriac. But I have never had this severe a reaction emotionally to anything physical. I think part of the problem is that I haven't discussed this with anyone and no one has brought it up to me. It's possible other people haven't noticed yet, though it's very obvious to me. It's also possible people who have noticed are just being polite.

Has anyone had any experience with therapy, and do you think that's even something that will help? I know I'm adding stress to the situation which will make it worse, but telling myself not to stress because I will lose hair more quickly doesn't make the stress go away. I run through scenarios of how differently I'll be treated, how it will affect my career, what I might look like, etc. I catch myself getting caught up in these negative thoughts and try to distract myself, but I'm not having much luck.

Inactive

Not everyone obsesses about hair loss, but neither is it a rare phenomenon. Your obsession may get lessen with time as you get used to hair loss (it does happen!) and/or realize it's not the end of the world.

Therapy may also help, too, but you should probably be cognizant that a therapist will likely tell you that your hair obsession is a manifestation of some other underlying issue. Certainly some medication could help you get over the worst part if the extent of your obsession is interfering with your daily life.

Hairloss can psychologically effect many people. I think what I've seen is that the later in life it starts, the less it effects a person. I'm not by any means saying that people who start losing hair in their 50's don't care, I'm just saying that, on average, the older you get, the less devastating it is. Now, I started at the good ole age of 17, so the word 'devastating' is an understatement.

Having hairloss at 17 can lead to serious psychological issues. The problem is that experiencing such a loss at this age where you're probably interested in finding a boyfriend/girlfriend can cause you to to obsess over it to a degree that is so unfathomable to most people and isn't normal, but may appear normal to the hair loss sufferer. A good therapist who specializes in treating body image disorders can help , as well as medications.

If you feel like hairloss is making your life a living hell, therapy and meds can help a lot.

If it's only 2 months since you first noticed your hairloss, is it even that bad? It may not be noticeable to others yet, and if you start treatment then you might be able to stop it worsening.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Default Thanks for the replies

I appreciate the feedback. I feel better knowing it is not a rare phenomenon to have the kind of reaction I'm having, and that it can get better. I will discuss my reaction with my doctor and see if he thinks therapy and/or medication is needed or can be helpful.

I do have pretty good coverage still, and my hairline is receding the fastest in the temples. I can now see my scalp through the front of my hairline from thinning and that's never been the case before. I'm not as concerned with how I look at the moment; most of my concern is with what I'll look like soon, especially considering the cyst I mentioned in my first post. I am thinking worst case scenario, i.e., the cyst will not be able to be removed and the lump will be visible.

I think I will feel a bit less frantic when I have some answers, and perhaps medication.

Thanks again

Hi Kev, I can relate to you feelings once I realised I was loosing my hair I panicked and obsessed over it looking in the mirror all the etc. You need to take a deep breath and relax, panic leads to poor decision making I know to my cost.

Propecia is def worth speaking to your doctor about it works for many men in halting their hairloss, the cost is not too bad and if you go for Proscar and cut it into fifths it works out alot cheaper. Hopefully a positive step like this could help calm down your anxiety.