+ Reply to Thread

Default 1st post - thinning, receding and sebaceous cyst (lump on scalp)

Hey all,

I am 39 and started noticing my hair thinning a few months ago. Of course there are a lot of issues I've read here just today that I am dealing with - shock, anger, sadness, feeling out of control, etc. I'm sure I will write more about all of that some other time.

What is most concerning to me at this time is the fact that I have what I assume to be a sebaceous cyst on my scalp, about an inch above my current hairline in front. I say 'assume' because this is just from the research I've done myself online regarding lumps on the scalp. It's a lump about half an inch across, raised a few mm. I've had it for 10 years, and grew after an injury. My doctors at the time said it was not dangerous unless it grew or started hurting, which it hasn't. I don't remember what they said it was, but it seems to be a sebacesous cyst, which is not a tumor. It has been a non-issue for 10 years because no one could see it. If my hair continues its present rate of recession, it will be visible much sooner than I would obviously like. And while I'm not happy about losing my hair, I am totally freaked out about walking around with this very noticeable lump in the middle of my head.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or any thoughts that might be helpful?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Default I guess I'll reply to myself. :)

I wanted to add that it looks like I'll be able to have the cyst removed surgically. It's a simple procedure that can be done in my doctor's office, and they won't have to shave. All of this is assuming the lump is what I think it is. I will probably have a small scar, but I'd rather have that than a lump. Anyone have issues with scars or other marks on your scalp after balding?

Thanks