+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 26 and rapidly balding. Please help with medication

Hello Guys,

I've been balding since 22, and decided to do something about it only now. I've been balding mostly at my temples but i do feel that overall hair density throughout my scalp has reduced considerably.

The sad part is that my elder brother experienced the very same at this age and eventually balded out completely by 28. So I do understand that I have around 2 yrs to reverse the trend in my case.

I do not like the idea of popping pills into my system and do not intend to take procecia.

After a lot of online reading I thought to go for a mix of Topical Spironolactone and Revivogen. I understand that Revivogen is natural and has no side-effects. But Topical Spironolactone in its oral form is a Heart medicine. I wonder if it has any side effects when applied topically. Has anybody tried this?

Please suggest other treatment options which do not involve oral intake of medicine. Thanks

I think the general consensus of actual docs is that propecia/proscar (finasteride) is about the only really effective thing. If you are not willing to get on fin then you are probably looking at total loss sooner then later.

Try to do , what I didn't do 10 yrs ago, accept and come to terms that you are going to lose your hair, cut it short, accept it, cut it shorter the next time.
    Gradually cut your hair shorter an shorter
    Realize that if you are meant to lose your hair you are goling to lose it

I would use nizoral shampoo every other day. Its been proven to help. Minoxidil also can work.......but i wouldnt use more than once a day.
    If you dont want to use finasteride internally.....then why not make your own topical? Some studies say it works, others dont....but its cheap enough to try and may give you some benefit.

I wouldn't suggest giving up on your hair just yet, but Spanker is probably right. If you're not on a DHT blocker like Propecia or Avodart, the rest of your regimen will probably have very limited success.

Dave52,
    Curiously how old are you and what Norwood class are u? You seem like you've accepted aspects of baldness where others cannot. I need to learn from those type of people. I really don't want this to mess my life up but yet want to keep on looking good fighting all these battles in life

jooder, topical finasteride...doesn't it work by getting into your system anyway?

michael, spironolactone will help. Minoxidil can get some regrowth. A ketoconazole shampoo will definitely help some more.

But unless you use finasteride I don't see you keeping your hair. Finasteride side effects are way over hyped. You could always take it once every 2-3 days to test it out or something. I really doubt you will get any sides at all.

I am very glad I finally decided to stop being paranoid and just take it. I regret not doing so when I first heard about the pill.

I uped my dose from 1mg to 2.5 mgs proscar daily 1-2 months ago. But I'm not seeing much help. I have no patience.......I hate shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by dgman21 View Post
    Dave52,
    Curiously how old are you and what Norwood class are u? You seem like you've accepted aspects of baldness where others cannot. I need to learn from those type of people. I really don't want this to mess my life up but yet want to keep on looking good fighting all these battles in life
    I had one session 10 yrs ago
    And the doc did make sure to tell me I would probably need another one as my hairloss progresses but if I felt comfortable I wouldn't need to have further..
    Unfortunalety I don't feel fully comfortable- I have my good and bad days , weeks etc but I really don't want to go back again ( read Jack's nightmare story )
    I'm really not sure what class I fall into now
    I have , what i consider a big bald spot in my crown , but enough hair if you were to look at me from the front or sides people tell me it looks fine
    I can cut my hair short in the back and side using a # 2 with no visible signs of the scar ( thank God ) unless it's wet and you look really really close
    The top get cut one finger length short
    I get it cut every 2 1/2 to three weeks
    I have to use a hair texture cream to keep it in place
    No one can tell I've had any work done , at least no one has said anything to me . In fact I got it cut today and was explaining to my barber how much it's bothering me lately and this lady I guess overheard and suggested a HT --- I told her I already had it done 10 yrs ago and she said she could never had guessed .

So I have people tell me it looks fine but to me it bugs the sh*t of me .....go figure

I tried the rogaine / Finasteride 10 yrs ago but didn't like the side effects

I 've come to terms with the fact tht if you are destined to lose your hair it's goign to happen , that there isn't anything you can do to stop it
    Take all the meds you want but once you stop taking them the hairloss starts again
    There isn't no scalp comb, creams, ointments , foods etc that will completley stop hairloss
    It sucks but it is what it is
    10 yrs ago I wish when I noticed my hair was receding I would have had the courage to go for the brush cut during the summer ......and learn to live with it .
    My older brother does , I have friends who do ....and they are fine with it , it's me that's all messed up

Thanks for your comments guys.

@KeepTheHair, yes perhaps I am paranoid about taking the pill, but there are websites created which highlight its side-effects and that seems to be too obvious for me to disregard. Yes I will use the Topical Spiro and Revivogen/or minoxidil along with nizoral.

My brother is married and perhaps doesn’t care for his hair anymore. I know he doesn’t bother. But I’m the one who needs to find the girls and currently I am ok about my hair, but wouldn’t want it to go worse for obvious reasons.

I am ok to go bald lets say in another 10 yrs but not while I’m in my 20s. 

My immediate goal is to prevent more shedding and maintain current hair. Anyways I’m going to see the doctor this week and post my next course of action here.

~Michael