+ Reply to Thread

Default An, most likely, irrational fear.

Hello
    Since I first noticed my hairloss, i've basically stopped doing all the excercise I use too. Somehow i've gotten the idea, that i loose more hair doing sport because I have to shower after each session. The problem is, when I shower I loose more hair, mostly from drying my hair with the towel. Is this true? Or would I have lost the hair anyway?
    It really bugs me. I used do at least one hour of sport everyday, which meant i was showering twice a day. But now i basically don't do any sport because of this.
    Guess I just need to hear from someone else that isn't true.

Having showers and towelling hair is a normal daily routine for many people, including women and men with full heads of hair....... and it doesnt make them go bald. Aerobic exercise actually lowers dht and so is beneficial for hair loss.

Hair is more susceptible to breakage when wet, if I'm not mistaken, so maybe avoid rough towel drying. But jooder is right, washing and towel drying shouldn't cause permanent loss.

I notice you say you were showering twice per day. Did you use shampoo every time? If so, I should tell you, that's an awful lot of times to be washing your hair. I read recently that over-washing can kick sebum production into overdrive. Seems it might also increase scalp inflammation... can anyone more knowledgeable comment on this?

Okay thanks. But im just worried that i shed more hair than i would have done otherwise. When i towel dry my hair, there's around 10-15 hairs in the towel.
    I use nizoral every third day and I use regular shampoo twice a week besides that.

Keep in mind, all human beings lose a certain # of hairs per day (I've heard it said that anywhere from 50-150 in a day could be considered normal, depending on the person). These hairs are entering a "resting phase" and will grow back in a few months.
    It's possible that towel drying your hair is causing breakage, but breaking the hair shaft isn't the same as losing the follicle. You really shouldn't need to worry about any permanent form of hair loss from toweling.