+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big mistake for stopping Minoxidil

I have stopped using Minoxidil for almost 6 months, but at first I didnt realise the increase in hairloss was due to the stoppage of Minoxidil.....now my hairloss has gone back to where I started off with and I came across with some articles saying that if you have stopped once you wont be able to get back the initial positive result even you restart it..and now I m jus so worried that I wont be able to get back what I had from Minoxidil. and my scalp is now so visible that I hav to use toppik every morning. Has anyone who have stopped and restarted Minoxidil came back with good results?

I urge anyone who is thinkin of quitting minoxidil to give it a serious thot.

You can get the same results if you use it again, most likely.

But that will not be the case if your hair was further damaged from DHT and the natural balding process.

If you successfully used minox with no sides effects, and you want to regain some of the hair you just lost, by all means go back on it. If you responded well to it before, it will still help you when you restart.

Are you on finasteride as well? Whether or not you use minoxidil, you should always be on a DHT blocker like Propecia or Proscar. That's how you prevent damage to the follicles. Minox sort of just forces your hair to grow in thicker, in spite of the damage that's continuing to happen. At least this is my understanding.

Yes I m on Propecia as well...but my hairline is so much worse that i cant even use toppik to cover and not to mention my scalp, may b i m experiencing initial shedding again. I m under quite a huge amount of stress rite now..i cant forgive myself for stopping minoxidil for no reason..and now as a consequence this is what i m getting.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I have had patients who stopped using the Minoxidil because they thoght it was not working, but realized after a significant shedding that maybe it really was working for them. Some who got right back on it were able to get back to where they were before stopping the Minoxidil and some never really ever regained the density they had. It is certainly worth a try, especially if you did not have any negative side effects.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thanks Dr Glenn Charles,

I hope I m one of those who can regaine the hair, but I have stopped for 6 months now..may be it has already been too late. The patients you had that jumped rite back and successfully regained the hair were probably the one who only stopped for a really short period of time rite?

Do you think my propecia could still be protecting the hair follicles and might allow the minoxidil to stimulate hair follicles again. I hav restarted the minoxidil now, and the initial shedding is pretty bad, do u think this is a good sign?

Also Dr. Glenn Charles,

For the patients who didnt regain the same density, did they at least regain half of what they had?

Some did regain partial density. The fact that you were taking Propecia may help your long term situation. Unfortunetly, time is the only thing that will eventually lead to your answer to these difficult questions. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile

It should be noted that in my experience Minox only works for a limited time span although this may be long enough for some of you. It will not work forever.

I used it for 6 years - and it noticeably stopped working 5 months ago. Am still using it twice a day but am quite sure it is of no benefit anymore.

They were the best 6 years of my life though.

Am now taking Propecia and seriously considering an HT which upsets me.

Many hair restoration physicians feel that the combination treatment Propecia/Finasteride works better than either treatment by itself. Hopefully that will be the case for both of you guys.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    View my IAHRS Profile