+ Reply to Thread

Default 17 with receding hairline... (PICS)

I'm Alex a 17 year old male (18 in February) and have I have a receding hairline. It started back in my Junior year when I went from long hair to my short hair now, so it's only been receding for a little over a year. My hairline is only receding in the front and that's it, everywhere else is thick. I've become self conscious of this because I'm a senior in high school so I'm constantly thinking about my head... I don't really know what I should do to regrow hair and I'm extremely limited on money. My father is bald and he did have a receding hairline at about my age too so there is genetic history in it also. Here's some pictures of the front of my head and you can tell me if it's bad at all and if I can reverse it. I'm totally new to all of this, I've just been coping I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-04 16-38-22.941.jpg

Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	7292   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-04 16-39-04.286.jpg

Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	7293   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-11-04 16-39-13.359.jpg

Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	7294  

Quote Originally Posted by xStrike93x View Post
    I'm Alex a 17 year old male (18 in February) and have I have a receding hairline. It started back in my Junior year when I went from long hair to my short hair now, so it's only been receding for a little over a year. My hairline is only receding in the front and that's it, everywhere else is thick. I've become self conscious of this because I'm a senior in high school so I'm constantly thinking about my head... I don't really know what I should do to regrow hair and I'm extremely limited on money. My father is bald and he did have a receding hairline at about my age too so there is genetic history in it also. Here's some pictures of the front of my head and you can tell me if it's bad at all and if I can reverse it. I'm totally new to all of this, I've just been coping I guess.
    Right now your options are:

1)Propecia (an oral drug that causes sexual side effects in a small portion of men who take it)
    You'd need to get it prescribed by a dermatologist.

2)Rogaine Foam (just slap some on 2x a day)

The younger you are the better hair loss meds work.
    You are seventeen so if I were you I would find a doctor who is well versed about hair loss (not one who is clueless)
    Have him examine you and make the appropriate diagnoses.

Propecia helps slow down or halt hair loss and in some cases can induce re-growth.

Minoxidil is a growth stimulant.
    Most hair doctors will recommend Propecia first and Minoxidil later.
    both medications have the possibility of causing a shedding period.
    It is important to talk to a good doctor before starting any regime.
    In addition to being familiar with the medications they can help you track your progress.
    I hope this helps.

You have been given good advice.
    Propecia, minoxidil and ketoconazole (nizoral shampoo) have all been proven to work on Male Pattern baldness.
    The process of baldness is basically that DHT 'attacks' the hair follicle causing inflammation and eventually fibrosis of the hair follicle, meaning no more hair is produced.
    Propecia will lower the amont of DHT produced by your body and so tackles the first stage. Nizoral is an anti inflammatory and anti fungal.....so tackles the inflammation. Minoxidil is a growth stimulant and may help to get more blood to the follicles.These are the products the majority of people use.
    There are other supplements you could take which are likely to help but are not as well known.
    Taurine is an anti - fibrotic supplement that can be bought cheaply. It may also be wise to reduce any inflammation further by incorporating more anti inflammatories into your diet - curcumin, green tea, alpha lipoic acid, fish oils. Cutting down on your sugar intake and exercising regualarly are likely to be beneficial too.

Bro u are receding but ur 18 and I'm 15 and I'm receding real bad started when I was 13 but parents don't take it seriously and don't believe tht minoxidil and propecia work