+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do we have the cure for hairloss?

I just want to throw this idea out there.......because i believe that we already have the tools to stop hairloss.........its more the commitment required that we lack.
    Lets just summarise MPB by saying DHT attacks the hair follicle.....causing inflammation, miniturising of the hair follicle.....and over time fibrosis which causes the follicle to stop producing hair. Im aware its more complicated than this, but those are the things (according to science) that happen - DHT Sensitivity, Inflammation, Fibrosis.
    Now in my mind we already have the drugs/vitamins/diet changes available to stop these things from happening.
    Many people take propecia with good results, however i havnt seen many reports of people who try to tackle every stage of hairloss.
    DHT sensitivity - Taking Propecia or Dutesteride reduces DHT dramatically, other reports suggest Saw Palmetto does the same. So basically DHT sensitivity can be reduced by taking these. Moderate aerobic exercise has also been shown to reduce DHT.
    Inflammation - Lets accept that some DHT continues to cause problems. But if we dramatically reduce the inflammation caused by DHT then DHT itself isnt causing a problem right? After all, no inflammation = no fibrosis = functional hair follicle. There are many excellent anti inflammatories - Fish Oil, Curcumin, Alpha lipoic acid, Green Tea to name but a few. Take a couple of each a day and inflammation is much reduced also. Sugar is a major pro - inflammatory and so cutting it out of your diet is also key to anti inflammatories having more effect.
    Fibrosis - Taking a supplement that stops fibrosis and can even reverse it in some cases would be an excellent last line of defence. Taurine has been proven to be effective against fibrosis.

So.......my recipe to stop hair loss.

Take propecia/dutesteride/saw palmetto..... and exercise.

Take anti - inflammatories in plentyfull supply. Cut sugar out of your diet.

Take taurine daily to protect against fibrosis.

It sounds simple.......but it requires a lifestyle change and is probably why many people dont stick to it.
    I think we all wait for the 'magic bullet', when we already have most of the keys to the puzzle.
    Much like other chronic immune problems, it takes a multi - faceted aproach to succeed.
    When i was more concerned about my hair, i too lacked the motivation to stick to a regime like this.

For those that require anti - sebum or a growth stimulant, we also have ketoconazole and minoxidil. So all bases are covered..........except for our own self discipline

Everyone responds differently to meds
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Perhaps the reason they respond differently is due to differences in their lifestyle. For example a person who takes propecia and does very little exercise and consumes a lot of sugar would maybe not gain the same results as a person who takes propecia, exercises well and has a very low sugar intake

Interesting theory on taurine - that's the active ingredient in Red Bull isn't it? Do you think caffeine topically applied would have a similar effect?

I think caffeine is of more use as a growth stimulant....
    Taurine has been proven to help against fibrosis - Check google scholar. It was also a main ingredient in l'oreals patented hair loss product.

You can purchase taurine cheaply at most vitamin shops.

I've just realised my shampoo includes Taurine as an active ingredient. That might explain why I get that same woozy feeling after washing my hair as I do after drinking too many Red Bulls!

Do you think it matters if it is applied topically or taken orally? If topically is okay, then again I can highly recommend Revita shampoo, which also includes ketoconazole.

The studies i have seen show taurine prevents fibrosis using supplementation. Also, the l'oreal product was in pill form......so i think orally is the way to go. Maybe taurine finds it hard to penetrate the skin as effectively.

Right, I'm definitely getting some of that! As long as I can, at the very least, ensure my baldness is curable in the future by avoiding extensive fibrosis then at least I'll be doing something.

I know this may not be a popular suggestion..... but counteracting inflammation is key. Indeed some knowledgable people think you can defeat hair loss by reducing inflammation and fibrosis and not bothering with dht. I think a triple pronged approach is sure to work best.
    Sugar makes inflammation much worse.....as do unhealthy fats. So if you eat a lot of pastries....and sugar......and fatty foods.......you are more than likely accelerating your hair loss. Thats why taking anti infammatories is crucil.
    Taking anti inflammatories while still eating pro inflammatory food may reduce the inflammation a bit. However, by cutting out most inflammatory food and then taking plenty of anti inflammatories.....you will reduce inflammation by much more.