Do we have the cure for hairloss?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fixed by 35
    • Mar 2010

I don't think hair is needed to look pretty; it's needed to look normal. I've never been a particularly good looking bloke and that's never worried me; what bothers me is that when I look in the mirror I see a stranger who I don't particularly like.

Comment

• jooder
      • May 2010

Another good post by weedwacker.
      I find that more often than not, most threads on this site inevitably end up as a 'is baldness attractive' topic. That basically tells you that baldness is a self esteem issue. One thing that will never improve your self esteem is doing nothing.
      If somebody had told a bald man in the 1970s that in 30 years time there would be a drug that in most cases halts baldness(propecia), plus drugs that can help to regrow hair (minoxidil, ketoconazole) OR you could have the option of hair transplantation with minimal scarring AND even that shaving your head was now socially acceptable.......... im sure his reaction would have been that a) he was born thirty years too early : ) b) that he wishes it was now because he could in effect 'cure' his baldness.
      Thats the situation we are in.....and in many cases we dont know how lucky we are. We have the money to buy these drugs/ procedures that can improve our self esteem.
      People become addicted to negativity and as a result moan and do little, or quit something after a few weeks because it 'did nothing'.
      Like i said at the beginning of this thread, i believe that we have the pieces of the puzzle already.... its the commitment and the want for an easier solution that lets us down.

Comment

• Fixed by 35
        • Mar 2010

That and the negativity from others, who haven't lost their hair, who think we should 'embrace' it, in turn putting us off doing anything.

The reality though is that whilst we might have the means to temporarily slow loss, and most of us on the site do, very few have the means to grow back all that is lost. Baldness is by no means a choice yet.

Comment

• jooder
          • May 2010

Fixed - whilst you may not be able to grow back all lost hair. Medications can halt or dramatically slow balding and possibly give regrowth while hair transplants can give you a reasonable head of hair again. So to some extent, whether you want to be slick bald or have some hair is an option that most men can choose.

Comment

• Fixed by 35
            • Mar 2010

Yeah, I guess so. I just haven't responded that well to medication.

Comment

• jooder
              • May 2010

What medications do you use?
              Last edited by jooder; 11-08-2010, 09:06 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Fixed by 35
                • Mar 2010

Avodart, Minoxidil & Revita (a ketoconazole shampoo - actually, I strongly recommend this because unlike Nizarol it doesn't include sodium laurel sulphate and it does include taurine and a few other supposedly beneficial vitamins).

I also supplement with beta sitosterol.

Comment

• jooder
                  • May 2010

How long have you been on them?

Comment

• Fixed by 35
                    • Mar 2010

About a year now I think.

Comment

• Weedwacker
                      • Sep 2010

I completely understand not knowing who you see in the mirror. That's probably the hardest part of hairloss. Many men who suffer from baldness have identity issues. I'm not going to lie;I have them as well. I do not look as good as I did with hair;but I can't change that. Looking good is not my primary concern;the major issue is looking so different from the way I used to look. If I continued to obsess and think about my hairloss, I'd probably have a stroke. I just have to move on.

Having a buzzed head may not be the most normal of things but neither is shaving your face. Naturally, men have thick beards;therefore, technically it's abnormal to shave it off. Just because it's abnormal doesn't mean it doesn't look natural and good. I shave my face every day, among other reasons, because it looks better. I feel the same way about buzzing my head. I look ungroomed and old with the damn horseshoe, so I buzz it so it's more proportioned. I wish I didn't have to, but what choice do I have at a Norwood 6? Just as women shave their legs(which is abnormal and unnatural)I shave my face and buzz my head;all are abnormal. I buzz my head and shave my face in order to manipulate nature, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

I saw a female model on TV once who was interviewed because she shaved her head. She did it because she always envied how guys can do it and went on to say that she loved it because she was modeling her face, not her hair. I must admit, she looked gorgeous. That may not be the norm for people with shaved-heads;however, everyone is different.

Comment

• sjgw97
                        • May 2016

youtu.be/2i6ssQKdTLg this is my progress with OGV

Comment

• sjgw97
                          • May 2016

Originally posted by jooder
                          Footy mad - anti inflammatory supplements such as green tea, curcumin, fish oil, alpha lipoic acid. There is a site called immortalhair.org....... he goes into depth about anti - inflammatories and the mechanism of Male Pattern Baldness.
                          However, he doesnt reccomend DHT blockers because he doesnt think they are needed. I think, for the best chance of defeating hairloss a dht blocker or an anti androgen at least is required......as well as anti inflammatories and Taurine.
                          youtu.be/ZDOzrFwZWS0

Comment

Working...