+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cutting out sugar and bad fats may seem easy..... it isnt. But for those who will do anything to stop MPB....its imperative. This is why i say its our own self discipline that often defeats us.

I don't think there are any specific supplements that will halt hairloss. I ate a very healthy diet before,during and after the period during which I lost it. I think curcumin, green tea and other antioxidants may be of use with regard to fighting inflammation;however, that does not translate to their effect on baldness. I was consuming flaxseed oil,vitamins,minerals and other supplements which have been shown to counter the inflammatory response, to no avail.

There is a woman who posted here who said that her eschewing refined food and other artificial junk helped her regrow her hair. I wouldn't be surprised if the increase in female pattern baldness is related to a poor diet as the food we eat affects each cell in our bodies biochemically. There is no doubt that the high omega-6 content of our modern diets is linked with inflammation.

Being a Norwood 6, there is nothing that can help me but genetic manipulation via some biotechnological breakthrough. I asked my dermatologist about my plight and he said there was nothing I can do. Eating a healthy diet, it seems, will better our health and mitigate the effects of aging down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jooder View Post
    Perhaps the reason they respond differently is due to differences in their lifestyle. For example a person who takes propecia and does very little exercise and consumes a lot of sugar would maybe not gain the same results as a person who takes propecia, exercises well and has a very low sugar intake
    Yeah right. I took propecia for 6 months, it did nothing to help in that time, and my lifestyle was no different from the average propecia user. Also, I got one bad side effect from it which has stopped me from using it, all because my body is more vulnerable to rises in estrogen. I wish it were as simple as you suggest.

I never said it was simple - quite the opposite, i said it was hard. You say your diet was the same as the 'average propecia users'......if the average propecia users diet is the same as the average person in the street, then it contains many pro inflammatory foods.
    I dont advocate using propecia internally. I would never use it.
    My point is that we have the supplements/lifestyle changes available to combat DHT, Inflammation and Fibrosis.......and if a propecia user tackled inflammation and fibrosis too, then they would give themselves a better chance of success.
    Weedwacker - just out of interest, were you on a dht blocker and did you take substantial amounts of anti inflammatories and a fibrosis supplement?

Yes, but I'm saying that most propecia users have some form of good result, whether it be varying degrees of retention or regrowth, yet the majority of those would have the same - if not worse in many cases - diets, lifestyles etc. as me. Still, I suppose it can't hurt trying to reduce inflammation etc. but I have a feeling that it wouldn't do much against those who have a strong genetic disposition towards baldness.

I never took a DHT blocker because Finasteride was out a little late for me. I never took significant amounts of anti-inflammatories because I have not seen any evidence of anything working. If I had empirical evidence of guys regrowing their hair from a Norwood 6 state then I would probably be more interested.

Oh life - Im no expert on propecia....but dont they say a year is a good time to judge results? Not that im recommending it! Too many scare stories for me.
    There is clinical evidence that certain supplements have an anti - inflammatory effect and also that Taurine has an anti fibrotic effect. So we do have the proof....
    Weedwacker - the reason i say substantial amounts of anti - inflammatories is because thats whats needed to counteract the pro inflammatory foods in our diets.
    When you consider other auto - immune conditions.... such as crohns and diabetes, there are some people who get on top of their illness and can live perfectly normal lives. More often than not, these people are the ones who make massive changes to their lifestyle......radical diet change, plenty of supplements and of course, medications when necessary. Why then do we think that rubbing an ointment on our heads or a tablet a day will do the job?
    Sure, it will help a lot........but its like a diabetes patient just injecting themselves with insulin and then never thinking about the sugary food they eat.......in other words, it might be half the battle won.

Quote Originally Posted by jooder View Post
    Oh life - Im no expert on propecia....but dont they say a year is a good time to judge results? Not that im recommending it! Too many scare stories for me.
    There is clinical evidence that certain supplements have an anti - inflammatory effect and also that Taurine has an anti fibrotic effect. So we do have the proof....
    Weedwacker - the reason i say substantial amounts of anti - inflammatories is because thats whats needed to counteract the pro inflammatory foods in our diets.
    When you consider other auto - immune conditions.... such as crohns and diabetes, there are some people who get on top of their illness and can live perfectly normal lives. More often than not, these people are the ones who make massive changes to their lifestyle......radical diet change, plenty of supplements and of course, medications when necessary. Why then do we think that rubbing an ointment on our heads or a tablet a day will do the job?
    Sure, it will help a lot........but its like a diabetes patient just injecting themselves with insulin and then never thinking about the sugary food they eat.......in other words, it might be half the battle won.
    I don't want to stir up an argument but I have been a type 1 diabetic for 24 years. I limit carbs, eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits and lean protein (salmon, turkey) no beef, pork or lamb or any shell fish, and I limit my sugar intake to one teaspoon in coffee and about 4 very small low sugar cookies per day (more like a cracker)
    I get regular aerobic exercise every day.
    I still need insulin to live, my body does not produce any and no special diet or supplement will ever change that.
    If you are talking about type 2 diabetics that is a different matter as most type 2 diabetics don't take insulin.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from. Are you a doctor, nutritionist or a diabetic nurse?
    I have spent the last quarter of a century living with this condition and there is no evidence that people with type one diabetes (insulin dependent) can live a life without medications.

Which type of Anti inflammatories do you suggest please?

Over the counter ones such as Ibuprofen?

Quote Originally Posted by mlao View Post
    I don't want to stir up an argument but I have been a type 1 diabetic for 24 years. I limit carbs, eat lots of raw vegetables and fruits and lean protein (salmon, turkey) no beef, pork or lamb or any shell fish, and I limit my sugar intake to one teaspoon in coffee and about 4 very small low sugar cookies per day (more like a cracker)
    I get regular aerobic exercise every day.
    I still need insulin to live, my body does not produce any and no special diet or supplement will ever change that.
    If you are talking about type 2 diabetics that is a different matter as most type 2 diabetics don't take insulin.
    I don't know where you are getting your information from. Are you a doctor, nutritionist or a diabetic nurse?
    I have spent the last quarter of a century living with this condition and there is no evidence that people with type one diabetes (insulin dependent) can live a life without medications.
    I think you are misunderstanding what i say.
    I know its not possible to survive without insulin.
    My point is.....that if you only relied on insulin injections whilst not watching what you eat, you would not be a very well person. It is because you have insulin injections AND have a good diet that you can function well?

In the same way, propecia on its own may do something.......but if you add an anti inflammatory diet and an anti fibrotic supplement, you are covering all the angles of MPB......so would likely have more success.