+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Propecia Results Months 4 -5, Please Help

Hi guys,

I hadn't been keeping a close eye on how long I had been on the drug for but today realised that I have only been taking it about 4 months and 3 weeks.

so heres how things are shaping up with my hair. please let me know if what is happening to me is normal as I am rather paranoid about hair falling as I am aware many of us guys are.

- My hair has definately started to feel, look nicer since taking the drug
    - My left temple seems to have not receded much further, however the hair there is very thin at the bottom (nearest the scalp)
    - My right temple has definately receded since taken the drug, but there are still hairs there, although again they are very thin similar to the ones on the right side.

No regrowth yet, and absolutely no side effects to comment on, so in that respect am pleased.

To sum up, how is it looking for me?

Is this a normal pattern? shouldn't the hair be thick at the bottom by now? does it look promising?

Thanks Guys, I cant tell you how much your comments and support mean.

Regards,

SE19

You mention that one temple has stopped receding while the other has retreated a little. Can I assume that you were losing ground quite rapidly before you started treatment?

When you say the hair is thin at the bottom, are you talking about the thickness of the hair tapering in towards the root end? I'm guessing it's possible that the hairs at the temples are not responding quite as well as hairs over the rest of the scalp, and hairs in the process of miniaturization are not reversing. This could account for the continued recession in one temple. Overall though it sounds like you're doing well and should definitely continue with it.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

thanks for your response. And yes I am talking about the hair nearest the root thats thinning. Also my hair wasnt receding very quickly before treatment.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

many thanks.

When I run my hands through my hairline less hair seems to come off in my hand. surely this is only a good sign?

Should I see regrowth if less is coming out in my hand? I know my right hand side has still receded but is it normal that it has continued but now there is less hair fall?

Will anything grow back?

Many Thanks

That is a good sign. As for regrowth, you might get lucky, but regrowth at the temples/hairline is fairly rare. The drug is much more effective further back towards and including the crown. This goes for maintenance as well as regrowth.

If you can stabilize your hairloss and do so without side effects, then you would definitely be in the Propecia success camp.

Its funny, because from what I have read, I would say a lot of people claim to have had regrowth around the temples.

Does it make any difference when taking into account my age? I am only 19, I hear that starting early gives you a better chance?

Many Thanks,

SE19

Your age could work in your favour, yes. Sure, some guys get temple regrowth; but it's best to assume you won't and then be pleasantly surprised if you do.

Once you notice hair loss, the earlier you start Propecia, the better. But I don't know that age has much to do with it - I think it's more to do with how long you've been losing hair.
    If you continue losing ground in the temple area, you could consider taking a higher daily dose of Propecia. The fact that you've gone 4+ months without side effects is a good sign, but obviously you would want to discuss any change of dose with your doctor first.
    There's also dutasteride (Avodart), but most would call that a last-ditch remedy, because it is not FDA-approved to safely treat hair loss in the long term. I wouldn't go that route at your age unless you get into Norwood Emergency territory.

BTW, everyone. This is somewhat off-topic, but I've noticed over time that the majority of MPB sufferers seem to have more aggressive hair loss on the right side than the left (at least in the hairline area). When I see guys receding unevenly, it's normally the right side that is farther back (or thinner in cases of diffuse loss). The same applies to my own situation.
    Any one else pick up on this?

The problem is I have still been losing hair in those 4 months, theres certainly less hair fall now. But a lot has certainly occured, I mean you can really tell I have a receding hairline....

P.S: My right side is worse than my left, so is every other persons I know with a receding hairline. weird?

Also, maybe I have been looking past it as i've been looking for the hairline moving back.

Though does it make sense when I say the hairline seems to be "narrowing" in the sense of a widows peak....

Maybe the angle at which the hairline veered back has become steeper :S

would this be normal on propecia? I think my older brothers did this until he had a very thin strip at the front...

Thanks