Threaded View

Unhappy 33 yr old female...thinning hair. Question about HT

I have had thinning hair since I was 17. Mom,dad, bro, sis all have thick hair - my mom's sis has thin hair. I didnt think it would get to a point were I'd be worrying about how can I live 30 more years before I go totally bald. I started using Dermmatch 3 years back. It was a life saver and still is - however I have lost so much hair in the last one year alone, even dermmatch is not helping and now I am depressed Ive not visited a Dr to check on my condition and am just embarrassed - the thought of going out without a concealer is killing me. Been reading forums about what people do and see that HT is quite common among men...or maybe its that women simply dont write about it..we just bury it and deal with it quietly.
    After much researching, emailing 2 HT Dr's, I decided to visit Dr. Feller. I really want to speak a Dr who is compassionate and listens...from all that I have read I think he has both...It will be most painful 60 mile drive from my home- but I think my options are limited. I'm yet to call for an appointment. I have a few questions about the first consultation and HT procedure itself...if anyone can help answer them it would reassure me...
    1) I'm assuming I have to wash my hair (with no dermmatch) and go?
    2) What exactly does Dr. Feller do during the consult? Will be do scalp biospy, run test etc and diagnose my condition first or straight away discuss HT? (It may sound weird, but I really would like to know what my condition is)
    3) I saw bef and aft photos of a women who did HT and she had HT done in the front - the photo showed big portion of the front shaven and it took almost 8 months for hair to grow. I thought only the donor area had to be shaved?
    4) If in fact the transplant area has to be shaved how do people go out with a big area with no hair right after the HT. I cannot imagine walking around like that If I decide to do HT I wouldn't want any one at work to know about it...I can probably take 2 weeks off but that wouldn't help a big hairless area on my head.
    5) Its not that I have the money sitting in the bank to pay for it and HT is expensive - I would've never considered HT if it wasn't this bad (will try to post some photos later on). Now I look at it as though I need clothes to cover my body and need hair to cover my head...it is a necessity..I may have to live on a tight budget for long but I think it would regain my confidence

The only best part of all this is my boyfriend of 3 yrs - he is extremely supportive and understands how I feel. I've only spoken about my hair problem to my mom and sis - no one else knows...demmatch magic...

I'm here for support and any suggestions...thanks for listening...

Good luck to all of you in your journey of restoring your hair...god bless.