+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I have short hair with a transplant?

Maybe this is a better place to put this thread

Well I think I have finally accepted the fact that I am going bald. It has taken a while. I buzzed it all off pretty short a couple of months ago and I have to say that I can probably live with this for the rest of my life. I don't look as good as I used to but I think I can make this work. After a lot of time and speaking with a lot of people ( I even considered hair pieces) I have finally decided that I would like to look into a hair transplant so that I can keep a little bit up there. I just don't want to be a cue ball. I am actually ok with buzzing my hair and right now I am keeping it at a #5 with my trimmer. I have been reluctant to look into a hair transplant because I had understood that you could no longer cut your hair short once you have been cut in your donor area. I would really like to continue buzzing my head and to keep a little bit of a hairline (even if it is thin) from a transplant that I would continue to cut short. I spoke on the phone with a rep from an IAHRS surgeon this morning and she said it is possible to continue cutting your hair to a #2 in the back which is plenty short for me. Still, I have learned to always ask for second opinions in this industry because of the overall lack of integrity (I really hope this doesn't offend anyone). I was just wondering if there is anyone on the forum who has gone this route and had a hair transplant that they cut short or if there is a doctor or a representative that has any input. I would appreciate any advice I can get on if this is really possible.

Please realize that if you get a strip procedure done you will never be able to cut your hair short in back.

I had a strip procedure and now I have this lousy scar across the back of my head. There is no way that I can buzz my hair without everyone seeing this scar. Think long and hard before getting the same thing.

It's very hard to predict how a scar will heal and therefore physicians can't (or shouldn't) make any promises about under what circumstances it will be visible. Even in the best hands, and with the most advanced closure techniques, there is always the possibility that the scar will stretch over time or not heal optimally.

A better alternative, if you know you want to keep your hair short, is FUE. This does not require the removal of a large strip of tissue and will not leave a linear scar, though it is important to understand that any surgical procedure has the potential to leave some scarring. For example, FUE can sometimes leave small white dots in the donor region where grafts were extracted.

However, it's really up to you to weigh your options. Once you start down the hair transplant road, you will never have a completely pristine donor area. To a lot of men, restoring their hairline is worth having a slightly thinned-out donor area, or even a linear scar. However, others are devastated to find that they are scarred for life and wish they could just go back in time and never start down that road. Make sure you spend a lot of time doing your research and considering all options before you jump into anything-- if you are intent on a hair transplant and know you will be wearing your hair short, I would definitely advise looking intro FUE over strip surgery.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Lindsey's Avatar

It really varies. FUE is an option. Also, depending on your needs, scalp stretchiness, family history of scarring... you may be able to have a strip.

We have posted several guys with military style haircuts after strips. The key is patient selection, a 2 layer tension free trichophytic closure, and quick intervention if any scar issues arise.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
    William Lindsey, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile