+ Reply to Thread

Default Short hair with a transplant?

Well I think I have finally accepted the fact that I am going bald. It has taken a while. I buzzed it all off pretty short a couple of months ago and I have to say that I can probably live with this for the rest of my life. I don't look as good as I used to but I think I can make this work. After a lot of time and speaking with a lot of people ( I even considered hair pieces) I have finally decided that I would like to look into a hair transplant so that I can keep a little bit up there. I just don't want to be a cue ball. I am actually ok with buzzing my hair and right now I am keeping it at a #5 with my trimmer. I have been reluctant to look into a hair transplant because I had understood that you could no longer cut your hair short once you have been cut in your donor area. I would really like to continue buzzing my head and to keep a little bit of a hairline (even if it is thin) from a transplant that I would continue to cut short. I spoke on the phone with a rep from an IAHRS surgeon this morning and she said it is possible to continue cutting your hair to a #2 in the back which is plenty short for me. Still, I have learned to always ask for second opinions in this industry because of the overall lack of integrity (I really hope this doesn't offend anyone). I was just wondering if there is anyone on the forum who has gone this route and had a hair transplant that they cut short or if there is a doctor or a representative that has any input. I would appreciate any advice I can get on if this is really possible.

I had 1 transplant 10 yrs ago
    I currently can cut it with a # 2 in the back and no visible signs - which I happy about
    Although my top is not as dense as I would like and I have a bald crown - which bothers me beyond all belief
    I understand for more density I would have to go back again but I really have no desire to be cut up again and risk another scar
    So I try and live with the mess that I have - it is IMO pure hell.
    There is a day that goes by that I agonize over it and this hairloss BS has stopped me from doing alot of things in life .
    If I were you I would just keep cutting it short and get use to it
    Un;ess you plan on going back for multiple HT's because that is what is ultimately going to happen as you lose more hair
    I understand one fellow ( Joetronic ? ) had six HT's
    I guess he's happy but I could not see myself goign back that many times - just my opinion
    All the best in whatever you decide.

Hi there, it all depends on your requirements,

FUE is a method than can enable you to keep hair short however the number of grafts it can harvest without over harvesting all depends on the individual but generally not as many as strip. I wouldn't recommend strip as if you are determined to keep hair short strip could hinder you as you never truly know how a strip scar will turn out , they generally in the right hands turn out very good however you would be rolling the dice and then trapped in the tunnel so to speak.

Look into your requirements and see if FUE can facilitate them.
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Default Guard 3

I had my hair cut recently and the hairdresser accidently cut my hair with a guard 3 razor instead of the guard 5 that I usually get. I generally have fine hair and had a HT not quite five months ago. I got to say, with dry hair, you couldn't see the scar, but I became self conscious when I went to the gym and starting sweating on the treadmill. IMHO a guard 2 would be fine only if your hair is dry and is fairly thick, but I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than a guard 4 wet or dry.

As far as FUE, it's not entirely w/o it's drawbacks either. I've heard of the possibility of recipient area looking "moth eaten". I'd rather have a scar than that. Besides, if you go to a good surgeon, the scar is really not that big of a deal if you have enough hair. If you have blad relatives that receded to the point of they only have a small ring of hair around their head, you risk the possibility of your hair receding past the scar line.