If I have a somewhat thin donor area, is that the end of the road for me?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uselessgomez
    • May 2010

If I have a somewhat thin donor area, is that the end of the road for me?

I've had some online consults with some of the best HT surgeons I could find. 3 of 4 turned me down because either in their opinion I didn't need a HT (not quite a norwood 3 yet, but wanting to soften my front hairline angle) or my donor area shows some thinning.

I know that an unethical surgeon would just tell me what I want to hear so they can take my money. But still I'm disappointed because I was only seeking a small session (hope for FUE) of less than 1000 just to bring my temples forward a little to soften my hairline. I wasn't hoping for my teenage hairline.

If most good surgeons tell me that my donor won't support a HT, is this the end of the road for me? Should I go to a HT doctor in person and have my scalp examined under microscope before throwing in the towel?
  • CIT_Girl
    • Mar 2010

How old are you? If you are still quite young, you certainly don't want to dive into a procedure and deplete your donor supply prematurely. Even if you only have a conservative procedure in mind at this point, as your hair loss progresses, you will lose additional native hair behind the transplanted hairs, and could put yourself in a very bad position. The doctors may also be considering the likely pattern your hair loss will take and eventually progress to. If you will likely end up a Norwood 6, and do not have much donor hair to begin with, it would be unethical for them to even let you begin down the HT road. It's also possible that the physicians feel that you have unrealistic expectations or- if they're telling you that you don't need a procedure- that you're imagining your hair loss as much worse than it really is.

I know it's not what you want to hear but if 3-4 physicians have already discouraged you from having a procedure, there is likely a very good reason behind that. Have you tried any sort of medical therapies to help you maintain your existing hair?

Comment

• uselessgomez
      • May 2010

I'm 30. I'm on Finasteride daily.

They were all good doctors for telling me not to have a HT. I appreciate their honesty, even though it's not what I wanted to hear.

I will try to get some new pictures taken today and post them in this thread so you can see.

Comment

• uselessgomez
        • May 2010

Some pics from the back and the top. All taken inside in front of and behind fairly bright light.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Lindsey
          IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon
          • Dec 2008

Its certainly a significant limitation. Particularly when it looks like your recipient area is better than your donor region.

Certainly there doesn't appear to be a good case to proceed with surgery at this point.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA
          William Lindsey, MD
          Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
          View my IAHRS Profile

Comment

Working...