How short can you wear your hair in back? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Default How short can you wear your hair in back?

Hello all, first time caller long time listener! I'm sure this question has been asked many times before but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

I wanted to know how short(clipper #) you can wear your hair in back without making the donor scar visible? There's a guy in my office that I know had a hair transplant because I can see the line from the donor scar in the back of his head. He has blonde hair and chooses to wear it really short. The transplant itself looks great and to be honest if he didn't wear it so short in back you wouldn't even know. Good for him that he doesn't care but I would choose to try and hide it.

If anyone can speak from experience it would be helpful info to know. This is one of my biggest concerns when considering a HT. I really want the flexibility of wearing my hair at different lengths and styles.

Hi Nitro,

Nice to see you post from all of the time you have been listening. Your question is a legitimate one as many guys like to wear their hair in a short style.

Now I assume the blonde-haired man had a linear strip scar right? And I'll bet the secondary reason the scar is noticable is because it is still a bit red or pink? I bet he has a fair complexion as well?

To answer your question directly, if you have strip surgery, you will need to wear the length in the donor zone at least 1.5 to 2 inches. If you have a narrow contrast, possibly a bit shorter. If you have a high degree of coarseness (fat hair shaft diameter), you can probably wear a bit shorter. These are just some variables.

Now let's talk about FUE. Most patients can probably get by buzzing their scalp down to a number 2, some even number 1 clipper guide. But I have seen enough guys both in person and pics who had more than 2500 FUE extractions and still have a shotgun looking donor area. But not as much lately because the top FUE docs are using smaller punches although be careful, because there are still a few top rated docs who still use big punches that are 1mm and larger. That's why it is so important to see as many examples as possible, and ideally with former HT patients that have similar hair characteristics as yourself.

Just remember one thing my friend. Any time a patient undergoes HT surgery, the donor zone will never be the same again, meaning, scarring is going to take place in the healing process. It's part of the after-effects from the procedure. The real issue is how much visible scarring and the compromnise of the scalp's blood supply which is a totally different issue regarding regrowth. I tell every patient that they may not be able to buzz cut their head short and may have to wear their hair longer in the donor zone for the reasons I just mentioned.

The truth is that many guys I know that have had 2500 graft and larger procedures end up growing their hair. If you lose your hair, and then get a fair amount back and looking great visually speaking, many want to grow their new hair, not buzz it all off!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Additional donor questions

This is my first time on the site and it looks very informative. I just had my second procedure and it seems to have gone as well as the first one except for some minor concerns in the donor area. My scalp feels even tighter than the first time and also more sensitive, which I understand should be the case but it has me concerned. I was cut about one inch more on each side than the first time to harvest more graphs. In fact, the scar goes above my ears unlike the last time that was lower and not as far. I'm really worried about the potential of my scar showing when I go back to work next week, in my line if work I cannot afford to have anyone know. My wife says its fine and covered but I have a ledge from the procedure when they cut my hair which is starting to fade, but still noticable. We can barely find my first scar from 5 years ago and it was done using the old technique, this procedure used the new closing method which I am told allows hair to grow through the scar, could that be why its so tight and extra sensitive? Is there any potential of shock loss in the donor area now, even after three weeks? My doctor and his staff are very helpful with answering my questions and they are constantly telling me everything is fine but any answers or recommendatgions from others would be great.

Thanks

Hi Tmac,

Assuming you went to an accomplished competent HT surgeon, yes I see no reason why you should not be fine. If you're wife cannot tell the scar is there, then others won't either. I think we HT patients are more critical of our post-op appearance because we "know we just had a HT", but remember, others do not know it. They have no reason to stare above our ears or anywhere else. The key is to just act normal and not draw attention to yourself.

It sounds like you had a trico-closure. It also sounds like your scalp had less play in it the second time around. Did your doc ever advise you to start scalp strectching exercises well ahead of your procedure?

The best is yet to come, the re-growth! Best wishes to you Tmac.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Thanks

Hi Gillenator,

Thanks for the advise, and your right, other people don't know I had a HT so there is no reason to stare. I went back to work today and at no point during the day did I feel uneasy. I had a meeting early where 2 people were behind me and I didn't pick up on anything from them. My doc didn't say anything about stretching exrecises prior to the procedure. I'm wondering now if that would have helped, its been so long between procedures that I assume he thought the elasticity would just be there. That is one of the problems I am having now is that I just can't remember the healing process that well and it really feels like the donor area is so much more tender this time around. Is there anything I can do to ease the discomfort that I am experiencing? Some days I feel fine but others, like today I came home with some real soreness in the donor area, more so than normal. I took a hot shower and feel much better but I'd like to look into something more. My docs staff just keeps telling me it takes time and I know its going to be numb, but really tender for over three weeks I just don't remember. Do you recommend anything such as an ointment?

Thanks again

T-MAC

Tmac,

You're very welcome. Been through it four times myself. It is not untypical that you feel more soreness. It could be from the tension on the sutures since you did not have as much elasticity this last time.

There' really not any ointment that I am aware of other than vitamin E to apply across that area. It may soften the epidermis and not feel as tight. Also consider taking Aleeve which is a 12 hour pain reliever. Time will take care of the soreness through the healing process.

Hang in there my friend, things will improve if you're not experiencing that already. Best wishes to you!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net