+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Positive experience with Dr Feller (3500 grafts)

Just over two weeks ago I went to NY to have a hair transplant with Dr Alan Feller. If I remember correctly it was around 3500 grafts. I have to say my experience was extremely positive. The moment I stepped through the door, I was made to feel very welcome. Dr Feller is a really nice guy with a great sense of humour.

First of all he drew in where he felt my new hair line should be and checked with me to see what I thought of it. I felt it was a little too high so he was able to lower it slightly. Once we were satisfied with that I went into another room and he injected anaesthetic in two lines around the back of my head to numb the area where the hair was to be removed from. It was a bit painful but certainly nothing unbearable.

After that the rest of my time was spent sat in a chair while Dr Feller and the rest of his team went to work. He had 10 staff working for him and all of them were very professional and friendly. Having the strip removed from the back of my head really didn’t hurt at all. I just sat there listening to the radio while they worked. After that Dr Feller prepared the top of my scalp to receive the hair and then his team went to work with replanting all of those hair follicles. Having a large team of 10 staff allowed them to work in rotations. On a few occasions the anaesthetic would begin to wear off and I would feel a slight bit of pain so I just informed them when this happened and they injected me with some more.

The operation in its entirety took about 7 hours. That might sound like a long time but really it just flies by. Throughout that time they took good care of me and checked that I wasn’t too thirsty. The pain was kept to an absolute minimum. In fact the worst bit was probably when he gave me the injections at the beginning, although it wasn’t really that bad. Also a side effect of the anaesthetic was that it would give me a brief adrenaline boost which felt a bit unpleasant but again wasn’t too bad.

Afterwards they treated me to an extremely nice grilled chicken sandwich and a cup of tea as I was feeling quite drained afterwards due to not being able to eat anything all day. To top it all off Dr Feller even gave me a lift back to my hotel which was nearby. Can you get better treatment than that? Once I was back at the hotel I actually felt full of energy and later became really sleepy. I didn’t encounter any negative side effects at all.

One note of warning to anyone planning on having this done......and this may vary depending on what exactly you are having done. For the first 3 days after the operation, nothing can be allowed to touch the new transplanted area of hair as there is a risk of those grafts becoming dislodged. This means that you should select your hat carefully. The one I bought with me was a bit too floppy to wear. Dr Feller gave me a baseball cap to wear but I couldn’t pull it down on my head properly due to the scar on the back of my head so it looked really silly. Therefore I simply went without it and just dealt with the odd looks people gave me. To be honest I really didn’t care after a while. The following day I got on a train and went wandering around New York for the day. I felt totally fine. My head felt pretty tight and a bit sore but there wasn’t any serious pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	darren_top1.jpg

Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	7152   Click image for larger version

Name:	darren_top2.jpg

Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	7153   Click image for larger version

Name:	darren_side.jpg

Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	7154   Click image for larger version

Name:	darren_back.jpg

Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	7155  

Two days later on the morning before getting my flight back to the UK, my forehead started to swell up which is quite normal. By the time I got home the bridge of my nose had swollen a bit too. A friend of mine said that I looked a bit like one of the aliens from Avatar! All I needed was some blue face paint

Anyway I have included some photos of what my hair looks like now 16 days after the operation. You can’t really see the scar on the back very well now as hair has grown to cover it but it has healed very well and the staples have been removed, although the skin above the scar has bulged out a bit. Hopefully that will go down over time. The crown and the area over the scar is still a little sore and strangely numb and uncomfortable to sleep on, although it is getting better with time. The actual top of my head with all the new hair isn’t sore at all now although it does feel quite numb.

I have been told that very soon all of the transplanted hair will fall out again and then in 3 months I should begin to see it starting to regrow. In 8 months my baldy days should be at an end. Woohoo! I can’t bloody wait......although obviously I will have to (sigh). At the moment I am just looking forward to being able to shave my hair back down so it is all the same length, as at the moment I have an odd looking two-tone head.

All in all I am VERY happy with the work that Dr Feller has done and I can’t recommend him enough, although of course time will tell. I am totally confident that in 8 months everything will be fine though.

Ps. Dr Feller still has the photos he took before, during and after the operation. It would be fantastic if he could upload them on here. I particularly loved the picture of the scar on the back. I guess I’m a complete weirdo but I thought it looked awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Dr. Feller sounds great and I look forward to seeing the photos he will post up.

Congratulations.

One question...Did you have to sleep sitting up in a chair? or just propped up on a pillow in more of a sitting position? Did you wake up in a different position and did that compromise any of the transplants?

I'd say you look great!!! Best of luck

JB

Quote Originally Posted by JonB. View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Dr. Feller sounds great and I look forward to seeing the photos he will post up.

Congratulations.

One question...Did you have to sleep sitting up in a chair? or just propped up on a pillow in more of a sitting position? Did you wake up in a different position and did that compromise any of the transplants?

I'd say you look great!!! Best of luck

JB
    Hi JonB

Your most welcome.....and thank you. Dr Feller is indeed pretty awesome. There may well be people that can match his work but I doubt there is anyone better.

There was no sleeping involved. I was awake through the whole operation. Sounds severe? It isnt. The experience was actually quite comfortable through a lot of it. I was in good spirits through the whole day. It was only during the last few hours when hunger started to set in and I started to feel a bit drained that I became less comfortable.....but even then it wasnt particularly bad.

Glad it all went well mate
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Your pics matey:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg

Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	7237   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg

Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	7238   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg

Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7239  

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spex View Post
    Your pics matey:
    Oh brilliant! Thanks Spex

Any chance of having the one showing the scar on the back? I can understand if Dr Feller is perhaps a bit reluctant to have it posted here as it might scare some people off......although I personally think he did a really neat job with the surgery. In fact when I went to have the staples removed, the nurse commented on how good the work was and how well and quickly it had healed. She was surprised that it was only 10 days old.

Do you think I could have that one emailed to me? I want to show it to some friends and work colleagues. Yeah I know we're all sick in the head

Will do my best

I find it very funny that in the age of free speech and the internet that this thread is NOT CLOSED and the other thread that is just as open and honest was CLOSED.

I am speaking of the one by Badluck, that had a negative experience with Dr. Feller.

I love the way Docs protect themselves by saying some guys don't grow and then offer the patient another procedure at a reduced rate .

That makes no sense to me. If they didn't grow the first time, what is a doctor going to do that is different the second time around to make that happen. I mean the Physical factors aren't changing. Maybe some doctor can't transplant is a better way to word it.

What would it take to make this guy happy? What would it cost Dr .Feller? A couple grand that he doesn't need?

The number of unhappy patients is without a doubt underestimated by every doctor in this industry, bar NONE.

To say otherwise is bullshit. I have caught many doctors and their reps lying through their teeth, and as long as there is money to be had they will continue to do so.

I am very happy for this patient and Dr. Feller for making this patient happy

I find it funny you would randomly bump this topic.. It stinks of agenda to me.

However since you have intensionally attempted to try start something you possibly know very little about allow me to clarify - The topic you refer to was ONLY locked by the moderator as the poster FALSLEY accused Dr Feller of illegally drugging him prior to signing the waiver forum. This is the FACT of the matter. That was the statement the poster made and the forum acted on it correctly. (The information posted was far from honest) The topic was locked for NO other reason.

All good Doctors do their very best by all their patients, as we know you are an unhappy one who feels he has been wronged by his Doctor (not Dr feller)

For this i am sorry. Do you care to share with us who your doctor was and make a separate topic raising your concerns rather than turning this topic into a negative topic - or was that your intension?
    Last edited by Spex; 01-02-2011 at 01:43 PM.