Spencer Kobren Interviews Dr. Jerry Cooley | ACell MatriStem Plucked Hair - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Spencer Kobren Interviews Dr. Jerry Cooley | ACell MatriStem Plucked Hair

Spencer Kobren speaks with IAHRS accepted member and current ISHRS President, Jerry Cooley M.D. about what some are saying about Acell MatriStrem, the most groundbreaking development in the fight against hair loss since FDA approval of Propecia.Listen To Part 1 of The Exclusive InterviewJerry Cooley, MD: I started working with this wound healing product [...]

More...

Great interview! Thanks for keeping on top of this, Spencer. This is truly groundbreaking. One question that wasn't addressed was the percentage of hairs that regrow in the recipient area. I've heard different numbers - Hitzig suggests 60-80%, I think Cooley at one time suggested 75%... Dr. Rassman on his blog says it's less than 50% -- though I take his claims with a grain of salt.. Dr. Cooley, if you're reading this, could you let us know? Thanks.

Wow this is amazing, if more research goes into using Matristem with plucked hairs, than 2010 may be the year that baldness was finally cured!!!

We are still speaking about a hair transplant right..

I think i understand the implications of this ultimately instead of having a strip off the back of your head, hairs are plucked and reintroduced and the regenerative process of the body takes over..

My concern is a number of things.. firstly price secondly we are still talking about a hair transplant with man made hairlines right? thirdly thickness, does it look natural..

I think most bald sufferers will agree with me when i say that we are looking to have the luscious, lavish hair we once use to have.. that to me is a cure to baldness.. now maybe im jumping the gun but ultimately does this process over this..

Maybe i dont understand the implications of this..

Yes, it's still a hair transplant. No, you probably aren't going to get the luscious, lavish hair you want. Of course we'd all like to rub some oil on our scalp and wake up as Brad Pitt the next day. Till then, this is a huge breakthrough offering immediate steps in the right direction. We should be celebrating, not moaning because it's not the holy grail. I'm still curious about the percentage of regrowth though..

Definitely something good. But this is not the holy grail... It is still a transplant and it's still very new. most of all I think it is going to be extremely extremely expensive.

But it's definitely a big step in the right direction

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Jerry Cooley, MD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie1985 View Post
    Great interview! Thanks for keeping on top of this, Spencer. This is truly groundbreaking. One question that wasn't addressed was the percentage of hairs that regrow in the recipient area. I've heard different numbers - Hitzig suggests 60-80%, I think Cooley at one time suggested 75%... Dr. Rassman on his blog says it's less than 50% -- though I take his claims with a grain of salt.. Dr. Cooley, if you're reading this, could you let us know? Thanks.
    I wish I had an exact % to give you. My success was much lower in the beginning but has steadily risen. Currently about 75% in a healthy recipient bed, and 40-50% in scar; because we keep refining the technique, I expect these numbers to rise.

Thanks for your interest.---Dr Cooley
    Jerry Cooley, MD
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Default i jsut dont get it

maybe it's because english it's not my first language but if you have a transplant then the donor site is stitch back together, where does the new clonned hairs will appear??

I'm so impressed that Dr. Cooley is taking the time to answer these questions. News like this is very exciting and I am sure he is being flooded with questions and phone calls. Like everyone else, I am excited for this breakthrough.
    I mean absolutely no disrespect to Dr. Cooley when I say that we have all learned to take news like this with a grain of salt. The hairloss industry as a whole is really a scary place. It eases my mind that Spencer seems to be excited about this and I also noticed that respected surgeons like Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Rassman have blogged about their excitement as well.
    I don't personally know any of these men though and when you look at us as a group of hairloss sufferers on this forum, we are small. I hope that I am not crazy to get excited about something I read on a small forum on the internet. (again, no disrespect intended).
    The point of my post is that, if this were all true (which it very well could be, as far as I know Spencer and Dr. Cooley have good track records) wouldn't it be receiving some more major national news coverage? Does anyone know if it has and if I have just missed it? It just seems like news as big as successfully creating hair follicles where there weren't any before would be talked about in more places than on bald truth talk.
    I mean ABSOLUTELY no disrespect with this post. I am as excited to see the results of Dr. Cooley's work as anybody else. I think that I can speak for a lot of us when I say that hair loss can be exhausting and I have become a little bit of a sceptic.
    One more thought... I know that Dr. Hitzig was heavily involved in this as well and from things I have read about him, he doesn't have a great reputation. I know that this is the internet and people can say anything about anyone and remain anonymous but this still worries me. Any input from anybody would be great.

I think the lack of news coverage may be because this is a cosmetic procedure. In much the same way as gastric bands et al never made the headlines, nor has this. FUE only reached the British press early this year as far as I can tell, when it was already being offered to patients.

Certainly, the British media will only cover what they perceive as a miracle. Now, don't get me wrong, if this works it is a miracle. But the British press will only consider a magic pill or potion worthy of coverage, rather than cosmetic surgery.